Simple video editing and DVD authoring

ddrueding

Fixture
I need to teach someone who is not particularly computer literate how to take the .avi from their DV camcorder, clip parts out of the video, and burn it to a DVD that will play in their regular DVD player.

I was using windows movie maker for this, but it looks like it can't handle larger projects (30 mins seems to be the max).

I'm open to suggestions on software, but the budget is modest.

Thanks all.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I need to teach someone who is not particularly computer literate how to take the .avi from their DV camcorder, clip parts out of the video, and burn it to a DVD that will play in their regular DVD player.

I was using windows movie maker for this, but it looks like it can't handle larger projects (30 mins seems to be the max).

I'm open to suggestions on software, but the budget is modest.

Thanks all.

You'll need to know what format the authored DVD's will be played on, IIRC, there are still some incompatibility issues with some players that supposedly handle all the various formats of DVD's...thankfully, there's only one HD standard now...though there is double layer, or was it double sided...eh, too many formats of digital :(

iMovie comes with every Mac, it's free
... "get a Mac" :D. Final Cut Express does more, but costs too much for your budget (assuming here, don't know the usual 'conditional' issues :p)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Ulead Moviefactory is very easy but it chokes on projects over two hours. Nero Vision works well but sometimes it won't allow certain video quality settings for no reason that I can see.

I think every simple application I've tried for DVD authoring is buggy somehow.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Now I get to take clips from a DVD and upload them to youtube...is Ulead still the winner?

I'm more likely to have Nero installed.

Windows Movie Maker under XP only supports retarded formats. The versions that ship with Vista and 7 are much nicer but still not as nice as any commercial app (Ulead, Nero Vision, Pinnacle etc).

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
We've been looking for video editing software as well. I'll have my wife try Nero Vision since she already has the Nero suite installed. Cyberlink's PowerDirector has also been recommended by one of her online friends who makes the occasional YouTube video.