SF vs. SR

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I like both. I've known folks longer here. It's more of a family atmosphere - a disfunctional family perhaps (complete with the old man you'd like to keep locked in the attic if you could - me). But I have some good friends at SR as well.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
They both have their moments. SR goes through spurts where it seems like every idiot online is posting there, or where some of the regulars get particularly argumentative. While SF doesn't have as big a signal to noise ratio problem, we do occasionally go through slow spurts where nobody really has anything new to discuss. I guess that's one of the pitfalls of a much more intimate, but smaller group.

Having to choose one or the other, I'd be hard-pressed to make a decision at this point in time.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I prefer SF for the Signal to Noise Ratio.
Though the posting rate is a bit lower than I'd like.
I visit several times a day and no new posts :(
At SR I might read two to five posts a day.
I read virtually all the SF posts at first and follow the ones I'm remotely interested in.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
They get more traffic at SR which is great for me since I love to discuss politics.

Signal to noise ratio? In which forum? The Bar & Grille?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
To expand a bit on what the little hairy one has to say, we are mega busy these days, and when we do visit, we read a good deal more than we post. (I mean sites in general, not SR or SF in particular.) Perhaps that is a sign of maturity or something.

(Who? Me? Mature?)

(No, not you, Tea.)

Er.... Forget what I said about maturity, OK? I'll just go on to my next point.

SR, for me, is like one of those old friends that you are still fond of and still have good feelings for but have drifted a little apart from. Hey, he/she is married and into buying a home and having children, while you are still single and like to party, perhaps. Or the reverse.

Still a good mate, but somehow you don't ever seem to get around to meeting for drinks the way you both always say you will, and the day your old friend rings up to invite you over for dinner, it just happens that you are already committed to be away that weekend — so you promise that you'll call him/her and you will get together soon (yes, you really will this time). But chances are, you won't.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I hit SR when I want to read a review, which is maybe twice a year of late. I hit SF 3-10 times a day to read and occasionally post. I haven't even bothered to click on JTR's links to what he's posted over there.

SR has become a site I'm mostly just peripherally aware of. I don't have tons of time for surfing and don't really care to sift through the haystack looking for the occasional interesting needle. My time is better spent here and at a few other sites (mostly not computer related).

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
SR provides some nice reviews, but as has been mentioned, there is to much noise. Watching people argue about RAID 0 gets real boring. :D

ddrueding

Fixture
I still have 2 tabs of SR on my startup, along with 3 tabs of SF, slashdot, and GMail.

But 90% of my time is here. I scan for new posts, and occasionaly jump into a thread with a descriptive and relevant title, but I no longer check out the ones called "Scsi Raid 0 @low Speedz?" or "Get Real!"...just don't have the time.

And I'll second the value of Merc in this enviroment; along with quite a few other "regulars" that form the backbone of SF. I really like it here.

cquinn

What is this storage?
I don't think the whole topic is worth a versus thread.

Both forums are highly valued and comparably better than some
other "tech-oriented" forums.

The character of SR has changed since the crash, partly because
many of the old-timers moved on, partly because many of the
old-trolls moved on because the old-timers weren't around to
bait anymore, and partly because a new forum had to rise from
the ashes of the old. All of those things would have happened
eventually.

The character (and characters) at SF were pretty much defined by
the invitation of many old-timers from SR to form the new stomping
grounds over here.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Hey, watch who you're calling old-timer there squirt. :)

Honestly, I haven't even thought a comparision was necessary; the two sites offer me completely different functions. To me it's like asing
webster.com vs. wikipeaeaeaeadia.com (sp? :))

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Umm, I think it is en.wikipedia.org.

I don't even visit SR anymore. None of the discussions are interesting over there. Plus, we got Merc!

miksmi

What is this storage?
How do most folks find SF (non-SR old timers, that is)? I only know about SF because I happened to be lurking on SR shortly after the crash and caught a thread about the birth of SF. Do any SF regulars that post on SR advertise SF in their .sig?

ddrueding

Fixture
miksmi said:
Do any SF regulars that post on SR advertise SF in their .sig?

Not I. I don't think there have been more than a half-dozen links from SR to SF, though there have been many times more going the other way. I can imagine 2 reasons:

1. They were here first. Stealing their traffic to become just like them would be wrong.
2. Being like them isn't what SF is about, and bringing everyone from there to here would detract from the specialness of this place.

BooST

Learning Storage Performance
I think I'll have to third the no pop-ups statement.

ddrueding

Fixture
To be honest, I've never seen the popups either, but there is a thread over there where someone noticed. Eugene even states later in the thread that he hadn't noticed before. I wonder what percentage of the users of a technical forum actually dodn't have popup-blocking software?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Funny, but my results and experiences have been so far out of whack with SR that I see no point in visiting.

The ONLY reason for me to check there is to find out the reviews on IDE/ATA drives, and, since they all seem to be pretty much the same, it just is an easy place to find out which drive has which warranty.

That said, the practical experience here over rides that. For example, the WD warranty stories here, in fact anything put down here, I take without
skeptism.

Between Merc, David, Tannin, Gary, heck, everybody, we have a great, and knowledgable crew.

SR reminds me of a bar that was bought by new owners, at too high a price, so they have to close it(read dump the database).
Then new investors arrive, saving the place, and remodeling.

However, the old crew has said hasta la vista, and moved on to another place they set up themselves. It's a nice, comfortable bar, and there is just no reason to return to the old place. Plus, there is bad blood between
the old owner, and the new patrons, since the patrons rightly felt they were the main reason for the places success. Without the constant attention, and patronage, the old owner wouldn't have had any sort of business to lure investors anyway.

s