Seen any good anime?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I've been utterly fixated on this anime Naruto (http://narutofan.com/) since it was in its 1st season. However, being a half hour weekly series I'm looking for something additional to keep my interest.

Initially it was Full Metal Alchemist, and then I wandered a round through a few others, but am looking for something stable that someone can recommend.

I already have Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Inuyasha, Chobits, Fushigi Yugi, FLCL and a few others behind my belt. Can anyone recommend any good anime they've seen lately or a series that they found truly captivating?

Otherwise I'll probably just dig through the top 200.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Sorry, but dare I state that I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about? What language is the anime?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

Heh, I'm glad I can introduce you to some fine anime specimines...

Anime is short for Japanese Animation. A unique style of cartoon animation. Anime is typically Japanese, but has branched out to other Asian countries (Korea comes to mind) and even American comics and TV have tried to emulate the Japanese style.

The main interest holder for me is that while American cartoons are generally geared for a younger audience, Anime comes in a wider variety of genres and can deal with a much broader range of topics. However, this statement isn't entirely true as in the last couple years Cartoon network has brought several "adult" cartoons into the mainstream with their Adult Swim segment, but it still remains a good description of what separates anime from cartoons and why anime has become increasingly popular in America.

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
If you like the older stuff I recommend the original Bubblegum Crisis and I enjoyed the Macross saga. I grew up on Star Blazers and Robotech but seeing it subtitled with the original voice actors is always good. Ghost in the Shell was a good movie and it's sequel is worth seeing. I'll have to look through my VHS collection later on to find a couple other good Science Fiction series titles.

Free

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a very, very strong dislike of anime, based on the behavior of those persons I have met who would call themselves fans of it.

Someone might say that I shouldn't judge a leader by its followers but in this case my distaste can be matched to personal experience with the genre.

freeborn

Oh, Vampire Princess Miyu is also on my highly recommended list. I have much of it on Laserdisc though I rarely pull out the player to watch the discs any more :)

Free

freeborn

Mercutio said:
I have a very, very strong dislike of anime, based on the behavior of those persons I have met who would call themselves fans of it.

Someone might say that I shouldn't judge a leader by its followers but in this case my distaste can be matched to personal experience with the genre.

Ouch, many of the folks I know who enjoy anime are quite normal. I would not call anime a genre in and of itself though, anime covers a very wide breadth of genres.

Free

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Thanks for inof. i will pass. I nver cared for the Japanes cartoon buggy eyes. Come to think of it, I don;t care for 99% of cartoons anyway.

Mercutio

I'll not ever call it an art form. That would imply merit.
Japanese-type Anime/Manga is like acid. It eats away at the things I actually enjoy, like science fiction, comic books, computer games and cartoons. It is in my estimation a black hole of culture.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
No, Merc, that would be this stupid obsession with Star Wars. And 'reality' TV. They are far larger plagues against humanity.

And as I said in another thread, if anime is crowding out the comics at your retailer, perhaps it is fulfilling a need that the domestic comics don't. Not having read domestic comics for years I couldn't say what that would be, but for me anime & manga provide decent to excellent story lines, develop the characters, have planned ends (I hate stuff that runs on forever), are not afraid to take risks, and have an art style that I just plain like better.

I've been an anime/manga/related fan for about 12 or 13 years. My actual interest began in the 80s while at college, but didn't really take off until around 93.

So I've had time for a collection to build. My anime collection currently stands at about a dozen commercial VHS tapes (used to be more; many have been replaced with LDs & DVDs), somewhere between 300-400 VHS & S-VHS fansubs (used to be 700+ but again most have been replaced by commercial releases), around 150 LDs, and maybe 500-600 DVDs. Nearly 500 volumes of translates manga and a couple hundred untranslated, 80+ art books, 100+ CDs (soundtracks & regular J-pop) and gobs of miscellaneous stuff.

I tried watching FMA but couldn't get in to it. Full Metal Panic, OTOH, (totally unrelated) is a great series. If you like Cowboy Bebop & Outlaw Star, give Trigun a try.

If you like Inuyasha, try other series authored by Rumiko Takahashi: Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura, etc. Personally, while each of her shows has merit they tend to run way too long and are too repetitive in the middle. Her standalone stuff like Mermaid Scar/Forest is pretty good, though.

If you like Chobits consider other CLAMP works like Magic Knight Rayearth, Cardcaptor Sakura, Angelic Layer, etc.

The creator of Fushigi Yuugi, Yuu Watase, has other series that are worth seeing like Arashi no Ceres (Ceres the Celestial Legend).

FLCL is pretty far out there, but is typical Gainax fare in that it offers a creativeness not often seen in the marketplace. There are lots of good Gainax series and one-offs: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Nadia, His and Her Circumstances (Karekano) to name a few.

Read or Die (ROD) OVAs are excellent. Follow it up with the TV series, which is just about done being released.

I like Scrapped Princess a lot but it's just starting to come out domestically (the first disc is official tomorrow). Other series to recommend: Hellsing (Vampires), Vampire Miyu TV & OVAs (I believe what freeborn mentioned would be the OVAs). Kimagure Orange Road is a classic - my cat is named after the female lead. Bubblegum Crisis is good and has a great 80s soundtrack; after watching it you can check out the similar BGC 2040 TV series. Battle Athletes & BA Victory are both excellent. 3x3 Eyes, Escaflowne, Ghost in the Shell, Memories, Perfect Blue, El Hazard, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Key the Metal Idol, anything Lupin III, Millenium Actress, Please Teacher, Ruroni Kenshin (start at the beginning of the TV series and watch the 1st 63 episodes), serial experiments lain, Royal Space Force (Wings of Honneamise) and Video Girl Ai are all worth watching. As is anything from Hayao Miyazaki (released by Disney), including Kiki's Delivery Service, Nausicaa, Porco Rosso, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, etc.

Head over to www.animeondvd.com and check the forums, reviews, and recommended list. The recommended list should be quite comprehensive. Also check the release of the month/year for the reviewer's favorite new disc.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I really liked Star Blazers back in the day....not really fond of modern day stuff.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I happened to be up late the other night and saw Robot Chicken on Adult Swim. It was so stupid it was funny as hell. On the other hand I can't figure out what the big deal is about Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

I know they aren't technically anime but whatever.

Mercutio

Fushigi said:
No, Merc, that would be this stupid obsession with Star Wars. And 'reality' TV. They are far larger plagues against humanity.

And as I said in another thread, if anime is crowding out the comics at your retailer, perhaps it is fulfilling a need that the domestic comics don't. Not having read domestic comics for years I couldn't say what that would be, but for me anime & manga provide decent to excellent story lines, develop the characters, have planned ends (I hate stuff that runs on forever), are not afraid to take risks, and have an art style that I just plain like better.

Well, OK, I agree with the reality TV bit. Television isn't an exactly a medium known for breeding good or even passable speculative fiction, but It's a sad commentary when the major networks in the US each have at least three televised versions of "F*ck your buddy" each and every day of the week and run them in preference to scripted entertainment generally

I'm disinclined to agree about Star Wars. I see why it has engendered its fandom, and I can see the appeal of its strong visual fantasy. It's also one of only a very few major entrances between the mainstream public and genuine fandom. Everyone knows who Darth Vader is, and I've seen the double-take that happens when a couple guys in StormTrooper costumes decide to eat lunch at McDonalds. Yup, George Lucas has proven that he can't coax a decent performance out of anything but an ILM visual effect cluster but hey, look what he does with those.

WRT the purported advantages of anime/manga type storytelling over that in comics (or Western-type games or animation), Fushigi, all I can say is: Things have changed since the 1990s, when collector-speculators bent Western Comics into a caricature of itself . Personally I dislike most japanese-style artwork (both the "big eyes" style and the "hyper-realistic background + overly simplified people style, anyway). The major publishers are publishing more non Super-hero titles now. Plots tend to be arcs sized for publication in trade-paperbacks. All the major publishers have mature-rated titles for someone who wants that, and the quality of writing generally (in western comics at least) has never been higher. In other words, short of the lack of exposition and traditional narrative, overwhelming cliches (schoolgirls with cannons! Giant robots! Tentacle Rape Monsters! Snot Bubbles!) and plots that depend on extensive knowledge of an impeneterable non-western culture and/or poor or suspect translation, I don't know what isn't being offered.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Wow fushigi, your post in itself is a very comprehensive list. I somehow felt you would chime in with a wealth of information. I really enjoyed the creative style of FLCL, so I might check up on the other releases from the same group.

Free, I'd have to agree that most anime watchers are pretty normal, but some otakus can get pretty far out there. Case in point, my girlfriend wants to take a Japanese Language class to enhance her understanding of anime... and I actually considered joining her.

Merc, it's just something fun to pass the time. I don't have any hobbies besides computers and anime. To each his own.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
timwhit said:
Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama, South Park???

I enjoyed the Simpsons when I was younger and have more recently watched the complete sets of Family guy and Futurama. South park was fun, but I think I've grown out of it as I stopped waching after the second or 3rd season. I think some of the same reasons apply to aqua teen hunger force... I just couldn't get into it.

However, I do watch the Venture bros. if I happen to catch an epsiode on TV. Reminds me a lot of the Tick, which was a fun show to follow.