Secondary monitor

ddrueding

Fixture
The smaller the pixels the better. Of course, this is overridden by the more pixels the better. Having pixels that are infinitely small, and therefore the edge of a letter can be exactly where it needs to be, is ideal. Provided, of course, that the screen is of the physical size you want.

Within the 27" size, 2560 > 1920.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It's all in the OS / graphics drivers. Unfortunately, there's no sensor to tell Windows to change the orientation automatically, as one might expect in 2011. Anyone who's spent time with a smartphone realizes how moribund the Wintel nexus has made the IT industry.

My 2005 monitor had that rotation feature, though my computer did not support it correctly at the time.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
How do you like the U2711? I'm still hear it's swan song calling me.

[accent]I do not think that phrase means what you think it means. [/accent]

The mixed metaphor is even funnier if you know what a swan actually sounds like. :) Siren song perhaps?

Stereodude

Not really a
[accent]I do not think that phrase means what you think it means. [/accent]

The mixed metaphor is even funnier if you know what a swan actually sounds like. :) Siren song perhaps?
Uh... yeah, so that wasn't exactly what I meant. :crap:

It would be the swan song for my itch for a monitor upgrade though. ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
It is awesome. The best color and uniform brightness I've ever seen. It is darn heavy, and not exactly cheap, but it is great. My only complaint (and not about the monitor) is that I can't get my HDMI matrix switch to support any resolution beyond 1920x1080.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nah, I think it is the switch giving bogus info; the receiver is also connected, and it only supports 1080P. As soon as I bypassed the switch and went direct, everything was fine.

ddrueding

Fixture
Am I the only one that is annoyed at Dell for shipping their monitors with the VGA cable connected? On both the U2711 and these P2411s they've left the VGA cable connected, and threaded it through the Styrofoam packing in such a way that it comes out of the box at once and promptly comes apart in every direction. Grr.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Ended up getting a cheap 23" 1920x1080 - a Dell R2320L, $180. I'm relatively happy with it, although I wish it were not so short. Now I just wish Windows would let me play a full screen movie on one monitor and not blank the other.