Seagate releases Cheetah NS 10K SCSI drives

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/12695

Basically a slowed down 15K-5. Uses 15K-5 internals. 4 platters. Supposedly faster than the 10K-7

..."The NS's unrecoverable error rate is apparently ten times better than that of the 10K-RPM Cheetah, and its annualized failure rate is supposedly 17% lower."...

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I am guessing the price would be near the 15k.5 as it basically is? This really could go to show where the cost vs performance wars have lead to, we have the technology to do this but look at what we have on the shelfs here.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
This sounds like a swan song for the 3.5" 10k drive.

Seagate has pushed hard to get people to move to the 2.5" 10k drives, and now they can't justify a totally new 3.5" design. So, they've "dumbed-down" a 15k drive.

They now have all of their SCSI drives on one platter size, with the NS leading-off next-generation density for other designs.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
This sounds like a swan song for the 3.5" 10k drive.

Seagate has pushed hard to get people to move to the 2.5" 10k drives, and now they can't justify a totally new 3.5" design. So, they've "dumbed-down" a 15k drive.

They now have all of their SCSI drives on one platter size, with the NS leading-off next-generation density for other designs.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Until the 15K drives hit the 300G mark, 3.5" will be around for a while. 2.5" is fine for higher spindle counts but still doesn't have the capacity available from 3.5" form factors.

Wavemaker

What is this storage?
According to more than one presentation that I saw in early 2006, the next jump up the capacity scale for 3.5-inch form factor 10kRPM SAS / SCSI / F-C hard drive (such as the presumed Seagate 10K.8 series) was to top out at 450 GB in 4Q/2006 ~ 1Q/2007.

Then the next-generation Seagate drive was late -- basically MIA. Now, the next-generation Seagate drive shows up as a 400 GB instead.

My guess is the next-generation 3.5-inch form factor 10kRPM SAS / SCSI / F-C hard drives from Hitachi and Fujitsu will show up as 450 GB. But, then again, I suspect that Seagate may have a plan, meaning: Don't count out Maxtor!

Even though Seagate owns them, "Maxtor" SAS and SCSI drives still roll off the assembly line. What would have been the 3.5-inch Seagate 10K.8 may now show up as a drive made by "Maxtor." :pirate:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Until the 15K drives hit the 300G mark, 3.5" will be around for a while. 2.5" is fine for higher spindle counts but still doesn't have the capacity available from 3.5" form factors.
Certainly. The 2.5" 15k drives are new, and I think will take a bit more time to soak than the 10k drives did.