Seagate and Best Buy: SATA Buddies!

iGary

Learning Storage Performance

• SEAGATE AND BEST BUY FIRST TO OFFER SERIAL ATA HARD DRIVE IN RETAIL
    A first for retail consumers: easier integration, faster data handling, improved reliability

SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif.—24 March 2003— Seagate, the world's leading hard drive maker, and Best Buy, one of the nation's leading entertainment technology retailers, have become the first to offer Serial ATA hard drives to retail consumers. Seagate hard drive kits featuring the new Serial ATA storage interface are now on Best Buy shelves. Seagate's native Serial ATA architecture moves data up to 50 percent faster than the previous standard with intelligent data handling and point-to-point connections. Its cabling and connector design makes upgrades and maintenance easy, and it improves data integrity and PC system reliability...

Read all about it at:

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1121,1678,00.html

Handruin

Administrator
I saw their SATA drive this sunday in their advertisment. They were offering a free SATA controll after rebate I believe.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'll paypal $5 to the person who can tell me how Seagate SATA drives and "leading entertainment technology" retailers have anything to do with each other.

The last time I saw a seagate IDE drive do something entertaining, I was prying off the various chips under the SeaBra while the drive was on. Fire is entertaining, right?

Fine print: I have to believe/agree with you.

Mickey

Learning Storage Performance
Mercutio said:
The last time I saw a seagate IDE drive do something entertaining, I was prying off the various chips under the SeaBra while the drive was on. Fire is entertaining, right?
SeaBra? You mean that rubbery sock that went over the drive? I've heard some of my snarkier colleagues call it a drive condom. It supposedly helped greatly reduce failure rates due to mishandling. And why were you prying off the chips? Did they get stuck? :D

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
hahahaha.. i was wondering what to call that thing.. I have one on an old 4Gb seagate drive... good idea in my opinion. As long as the drive doesn't overheat i love the seashield and sea-bra products

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Mickey said:
SeaBra? You mean that rubbery sock that went over the drive? I've heard some of my snarkier colleagues call it a drive condom. It supposedly helped greatly reduce failure rates due to mishandling. And why were you prying off the chips? Did they get stuck? :D

It was a Barrracuda II with THOUSANDS of bad sectors. I was extracting my revenge with an insulated flathead screwdriver. :D

See, I'm not prone to random acts of computer violence like CougTek. I'm cold-blooded and methodical. Kind of a Vlad Tepes for bad computer parts. ;)

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I've seen the 120Gb 'Cuda V S-ATA for sale at least a month ago... I saw it in the window for sale... it it possible that we got the drive sooner than the US?? :-?