Seagate 1TB

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I cannot wait so long; my drives are overflowering.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
So, we should see these in the third quarter of next year ?
(2009 : D)

WR, the overfertilizing/flowering is in the Chewy thread, lol.

Yeah, sechs, along with the 'ramping' up of production for the 64GB Samsung SSD's in late spring 2007 (according to Samsung's PR ;) ), which are "painfully slow" at @45MBs Write/61MBs Read's, & Sandisk's 512byte IOMeter 32GB 7,000IOPS SSD SATA drive...all painfully slower than 300,000IOPS 512GB DRAM high-end $$$$ server storage solutions, that put 15k rpm HD drives to shame as far as any known performance measure...except maybe in Eugene's reality distortion mindset.

Well, we know that Samsung has revisted their projected 128GB SSD production of late 2007, now to spring 2008 (even though they haven't even annouced a production version as yet, lol)...so, always safe to say they should be available "soon", lol.

LunarMist

I mean the drives are full and I need more space. :)

The drives must be in pairs though, so buying 2x1TB drives to add 500GB of usable space is not very economical.

LunarMist

Even Western Digitalis has introduced a 1TB drive now, but only the Hibachi drives are for sale. :( How much longer must we consumers wait?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The power figures showed at SR about the Hibachi were quite good. I doubt they'll be much better for the Seagate despite the four platters design. Don't forget that the Hitachi has a 32MB buffer, so it helps to reduce quite a lot of head movements.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance

Seagate has been qualifying a complete range of 1.0 TB hard drives -- though, I suspect the consumer version could have been released 2 or 3 months ago.

There's also the OEM factor with Seagate. They will substantially supply their contract customers like Dell, HP, Sun, EMC, NetApp, et cetera with drives for several weeks before the retail channel begins to get their first trickle.

Did anyone notice Seagate now offers 7200RPM drives with a SAS interface?

Yes! What's essentially a 3.5-inch SATA / ATA drive, but with a SAS interface. That's a second generation ES (ES.2) drive. Now if they would only do the inverse: Put a SATA interface on a 15kRPM drive.

I have a 320 GB SATA Barracuda ES (think ES.1) drive that I bought about six months ago for use as a hot-plug SATA drive to perform weekly full backups with. I already had an Hitachi 250 GB SATA drive for backups, but I ended up repurposing the Hitachi as standard data-only volume. At the time I bought mine, the 320 GB SATA Barracuda ES cost an extra $20. After using this drive for a while now, I'd say it was $20 well spent! My 320 GB SATA Barracuda ES is extremely quiet when getting fed data straight off my 15kRPM SAS Cheetak 15K.4 drives. The Hitachi was quiet too, but I could still barely make out access thrashing. The Barracuda ES is inaudible during the same activity. I suspect the ES series may very well be cherry-picked Barracuda drive mechanism with the ES firmware tweak. In any case, the drive operates as fast as the Hitachi Deskstar (HDT7225250LA380) during backups and it comes out of my SAS SCA drive bay noticeably cooler than the Hitachi.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
If I could only get rid of all of those useless SATA controllers in my system....

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
What are you running? SAS?

Yep. Sechxs is running SAS. I am running SAS. In fact, I believe we are both running the same 64-bit/133MHz PCI-X Adaptec 8-port SAS controller: 4 ports internal, 4 ports external. I'm NOT doing RAID at all with mine, just individual drive volumes and (potentially) JBOD. I've got 2-each 36 GB SAS drives and a small collection of Hitachi and Seagate SATA2 drives. All drives are in Supermicro SCA carriers except for one of my 2 Hitachi 250 GB drives -- which is in a Vantec eSATA / USB2 drive housing. I also have a nice 2-port SIIG 32-bit PCI eSATA card.

Second time around, I will go with either an LSI Logic or Adaptec PCI-e 8-port SAS card -- with all ports internal. The mobo SATA2 ports on that future mobo (whatever it will be -- probably a Nahalem era mobo) will likely provide eSATA functions via an L-bracket with eSATA port connected to one of the presumably many SATA2 ports that will be on that future mobo.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm waiting for my favorite RAID card vendor to start selling these. Sounds like what you are after. But if I can get the new SSDs in SATA I don't see a performance advantage over what I have now.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm waiting for the Areca SAS controllers. Dual-core IOP348 at 800Mhz should get the job done :)

LOST6200

Storage is cool
I'm waiting for my favorite RAID card vendor to start selling these. Sounds like what you are after. But if I can get the new SSDs in SATA I don't see a performance advantage over what I have now.

But you can cap-acity advantage over the SDS!

ddrueding

Fixture
I wouldn't replace all my drives with SSDs, I think the 750GB drives will be around for quite a while yet. But the 10,000RPM low-capacity raptors could easily be replaced with SSDs. If I could do a 1-to-1 replacement that would get rid of 5 10k drives, and reduce my heat/energy needs significantly.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
The power figures showed at SR about the Hibachi were quite good. I doubt they'll be much better for the Seagate despite the four platters design. Don't forget that the Hitachi has a 32MB buffer, so it helps to reduce quite a lot of head movements.

Speakings of the HIBACHis :) What are th differences here? http://tinyurl.com/2nlhat
Prices ahve a dropped lately.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
I wouldn't replace all my drives with SSDs, I think the 750GB drives will be around for quite a while yet. But the 10,000RPM low-capacity raptors could easily be replaced with SSDs. If I could do a 1-to-1 replacement that would get rid of 5 10k drives, and reduce my heat/energy needs significantly.

Heh, I'd take a SDSS of the 8GB SATA II over conventi9l HD if writes were over 100mB/s. :)