Seagate 14TB

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Since these are targeted at enterprise applications I would be a little surprised if they are using SMR and not CMR. (The lack of some sort of NAND based cache adds some weight to this)...

Compare the datasheet for Exos 5E8 which clearly indicates SMR, but the datasheet for the Exos 7E8 indicates CMR... And the datasheet for the Exos X10 and X12 indicated industry standards for maximised performance...

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Looks like Exos is the replacement for the Enterprise Capacity series? The ones released recently (Ironwolf etc) seem to be limited to 300TB per year of writes, I'm assuming the Exos will be at 550TB or greater like the Capacity drives.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Looks like Exos is the replacement for the Enterprise Capacity series? The ones released recently (Ironwolf etc) seem to be limited to 300TB per year of writes, I'm assuming the Exos will be at 550TB or greater like the Capacity drives.

They appear to be the same based on the specs and part numbers.
For example ST10000NM0016 was a Seagate Enterprise Capacity drive with the blue label last year and now is the green label Exos Enterprise drive with some 1950s looking rocket plane logo. The 10TB model series is the X10 and there are X12 and 14 as well.
It's the millennium marketing in action.