Samsung Notebook

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I see that Samsung has some new laptops with the Kraby Lake "Type R" CPU. Notebook 9 13.3" Supposedly this the best new low power CPU in years.

The 1kg weight is a little heavier than I would like, but probably acceptable if the charger is small enough. What are the thoughts on the Samsung brand of laptops in general?
I have been using Fujitsu notebooks for the past 15 years, but their U937 is a bit older model design with the basic Kraby Lake 7200U or 7500U.

LunarMist

So that's a knock-off Imtel CPU?

How could that be? If Samsung were making or using counterfeit CPUs, wouldn't Microsoft be all bent out of shape?
It would be much easier if Fujitsu would just use the 8550U, but who knows when or if they will update processors.

Stereodude

Not really a

LunarMist

I thought the Dells were much heavier. Do they have any under 1kg?

LunarMist

No, the water does not go on the single-engine planes. Water and beans are available at the locations.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
OK, my 2cents...

There seems to be some inconsistency with the requirements and planned usage. LM states that weight is a premium requirement of a new laptop, but yet talks about light planes and has hinted in the past about worldly travels...

Now if worldly travels are part of his/her employment wouldn't ruggedness be the premium requirement and not weight?

Now weight (from experience) only becomes a factor if you are carrying the equipment (think everything you need to survive, food, water, shelter, ammo, rifle) over long distances... 300-200g difference doesn't really make a lot of difference for short small trips (on long trips I would easily trade 400g in equipment weight to be able to carry additional water)...

So what would be wrong with (apart from price) any of the following?
http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cty/pdp/spd/latitude-14-7414-laptop/xctol741414us
http://www.getac.com.au/notebooks/s410/features.html
* I've left out Panasonic Toughtbooks as they are heavier than the two listed

Or is this a case, that if detained by border patrol/personnel, you don't want a milspec style laptop to give the wrong idea about who you are and why you are there?

The other option would be a tablet + bluetooth/usb keyboard combination?
http://www.getac.com.au/tablets/t800/features.html (880g).

@sd, some small planes and helicopters are fuelled by weight/load, especially those is rough/arctic terrain, but as you mentioned a few oz's isn't going to make a difference overall.

LunarMist

This is not for work. I have a company laptop for that. :(

Weight is important, not ruggedness. In addition to the single prop flights, the internationals are not fun either and I'm always overweight.
I will put the laptop in a bag with other items and forgo a neoprene pouch since I don't care about scratches.
I am planning on installing a 2TB 860 EVO M.2 for storage, so the guts must be accessible. Light weight, upgradable M.2, and three USB 3.0/3.1 ports are the minimal requirements.
LG and Samsung have the same idea of using the new quadratic core CPUs in 1kg class notebooks, but I'm not sure about the Korean notebooks in general compared to the Japanese products.

LunarMist

I probably will. I'm about $20K overbudget already and should wait until bonus time.
The main reason is that the thought of Win 10 is making me nauseous.

LunarMist

Why? Install Classic Shell and Spybot Anti-Beacon and it's pretty much fine.

I suppose the laptop is as good a platform as any for the learning curve.
Does that software prevent the Windows updates? I don't have to activate Windows on the OEM machine do I? Basically I would want to disable the Wi-Fi somehow.

Stereodude

Not really a
It will come activated. No, that software won't prevent Windows updates. That happens automatically if you have an Internet connection.

LunarMist

Is there any issue with the M.2 for SATA vs. NVMe? I thought all M.2 that support NVMe will also accept SATA but not necessarily vice versa.

Stereodude

Not really a
Is there any issue with the M.2 for SATA vs. NVMe? I thought all M.2 that support NVMe will also accept SATA but not necessarily vice versa.
Well, it's a slower interface.

I'm not sure your second statement is absolutely correct in a proprietary application like a laptop mainboard if the maker only planned to offer the laptop with NVMe.

LunarMist

Well, it's a slower interface.

I'm not sure your second statement is absolutely correct in a proprietary application like a laptop mainboard if the maker only planned to offer the laptop with NVMe.

So that is a concern. Samsung and LG are equally useless with technical info in manuals. LG always seemed like a crappier brand but their laptops have SATA M.2.

LunarMist

Why do you specifically need SATA M2?

There is only the one 2TB NVMe SSD by Samsung and it may drain too much power or create excessive heat. It is also twice as expensive as 2TB SATA M.2. Are there options I am missing?

LunarMist

Ok I suppose it doesn't. Only a certain number of memory cells are active at a given time.
I wish there were an EVO 2TB at a lower cost.

LunarMist

There probably will be as soon as Samsung rolls out the 970/980 drives.

I don't know if that is happening any time soon.

The LG SATA option would be a safer bet. Unfortunately the LG notebooks are notoriously difficult to open. The screws are all undercover and some kind of spooge is needed to open it up.
I'm a bit concerned about messing up the plastic. Immigration may think I have something hidden inside. :eek:

LunarMist

I will order the Samsung next week if I don't have to travel in Week 10. If an SSD doesn't work I'll just wait a bit. I can use externals if necessary in the US, and maybe by Q3 there will better NVMe drive options.

LunarMist

I will order the Samsung next week if I don't have to travel in Week 10. If an SSD doesn't work I'll just wait a bit. I can use externals if necessary in the US, and maybe by Q3 there will better NVMe drive options.

After the death of week 9 and other issues now I'm off to the South briefly. There is never a good time.