RSS feeds

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
How often are the feeds updated? Either the list ordering for the "All Forums" feed is way off or it's way behind the current state of things. Looks like most of the posts listed as new were made about 12 hours ago.

Handruin

Administrator
The generation of the feed is in real time. The data comes right out of the database every time you call that URL.

I noticed your same problem in a few of the readers I tried. I finally settled on Feedreader, and it seems to work fine with the RSS. I have it check once an hour.

That's not to say the RSS feed is perfect. Other RSS files are probably static XML that get generated by a script every n minutes. That might help the timing problem you're seeing. I can look into that type of solution if it's more common for RSS to be done this way.

Mercutio

Ever since I subscribed to the RSS feeds, my little orange "new posts" icons have been all screwed up. I don't know if it's related, but there isn't even a subset of computers that I use where things look like they did this time last week.

Handruin

Administrator
I'll take a look at the RSS spec and figure out what should be happening in respect to a typical RSS feed. I'll rework the script so that it behaves correctly. Worst case if I can't figure it out, what RSS feed style should I mimic, slashdot?

Mercutio

The RSS feeds I use most often are slashdot and google news, both of which seem to update more reliably than SF's have been.

Is anyone else using the feeds? Am I the only one having problems with this?

Handruin

Administrator
I noticed similar oddities, but I thought it was my aggregator. Which tool are you using?

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
I just get a "Live Bookmark feed failed to load" message.

BBC and Slashdot work, so is there something special to do for SF? I'm using Firefox 1.06.

I tried Sage as well, and that gives an "XML Parse Error" message.

Handruin

Administrator
Seems like it isn't working well. I was definitely able to get the live bookmark to work, so there must be something going on that has broken it for you, JKKJ. I'll post again when I've cooked up something that works a little better. Sorry for the confusion so far.

JKKJ

Well, I can get a live bookmark at work with moox Firefox 1.06, so I'm thinking it's something with the home system, not with your coding Handruin.

JKKJ

Oh yeah, forgot to say: RSS is cool, thanks Handruin :D

Handruin

Administrator
I'll work on it this weekend. Sorry, I delievered a half-baked solution. :-?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Don't sweat it. I just wanted to let you know it doesn't work.

I read every thread anyways, so I don't even know if it is worthwhile for me. I would still like to see how it works though.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm not taking it personally...just frustrated it isn't working and I don't want to waste your time with a broken feature that is there to help. :D