I'm a fan of the group YES.
Here the URL address of there
home page.
"http://www.yesworld.com"
Any of you know there music ?
Doug C.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I know I've heard them. I just can't recall what. They were an early '70s group weren't they? Name some of their hits.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It's a browser thing, Groltz. Doug90125 has an old Mac which only runs older browsers. (Sorry to mess with your handle, Doug - but as a Yes fan, I dare say you won't mind.) Older versions of Netscape, which were no doubt designed for lower screen resolutions, screen wrap differently in web-based forms. I'm posting this from IE 5.0, and would get the same result in Opera 6.x or Mozilla 1.X, bit in a moment I'll get Tannin to fire up his old Netscape 3.04 and paste this exact same text into it. I know that if he uses his Navigator/2 2.02 at the office it does the weird word-wrap thing.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It's a browser thing, Groltz. Doug90125 has an old Mac which only runs older browsers. (Sorry to mess with your handle, Doug - but as a Yes fan, I dare say you won't mind.) Older versions of Netscape, which were no doubt designed for lower screen resolutions, screen wrap differently in web-based forms. I'm posting this from IE 5.0, and would get the same result in Opera 6.x or Mozilla 1.X, bit in a moment I'll get Tannin to fire up his old Netscape 3.04 and paste this exact same text into it. I know that if he uses his Navigator/2 2.02 at the office it does the weird word-wrap thing.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
flagreen said:
I know I've heard them. I just can't recall what. They were an early '70s group weren't they? Name some of their hits.

'Roundabout' from the 'Fragile' album, 1972. It was written the first time Rick Wakeman played in a session with the band. Although he isn't credited as a writer, the song's most memorable feature is his work on a Hammond organ.

The most distinctive thing about Yes is probably the boy-like voice of Jon Anderson. He later teamed up with Vangelis (theme from 'Chariots of Fire') as 'Jon & Vangelis' on a number of albums including 'Friends of Mr Cairo', which produced the hit 'I'll Find My Way Home'.

Rick Wakeman is probably the most successful member of the group, at least musically if not financially. He is most famous for the 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' concept album. Here is what his bio says about one year of his life, just before he joined Yes:

1970 - Left the Spinning Wheel and joined Strawbs. Moved from the semi in Northolt, leaving behind his parents and three drawers full of black and white photographs of Exmouth. Made his first album with the Strawbs in the July of that year, live at the Queen Elizabeth Hall... Just a Collection of Antiques and Curios. It was this concert, more than any other event up until that point, that brought Rick to the attention of the media. The Melody Maker seemed to sum it up with their headline "Tomorrow's Superstar". The Strawbs grew in popularity and Rick became heavily in demand for session work with other artistes. At the height of his session career, Rick was doing eighteen a week. It is estimated that he has performed on over 2,000 different tracks by artistes as diverse as Black Sabbath, Cat Stevens (Morning Has Broken being the most remembered), Mary Hopkins, Cilla Black, Clive Dunn, Elton John, Edison Lighthouse, David Bowie, Lou Reed, Dana, Des O'Connor, Magna Carta, Al Stewart, Ralph McTell, Butterscotch, Biddu and Harry Nilsson.

Doug20910

What is this storage?
The group YES

Hi again everyone.
Rick Wakeman is rejoining YES !
YES lead singer Jon Anderson is
doing a joint project with the
Apple Corp.
The Apple Corp. is tracking Jon
new solo album from start to finish.
Here the URL address about the it.
www.apple.com/creative/musicaudio/
jonanderson/
I like YES guitarist Steve Howe !
He a legend in the world for his
stile of guitar playing.

Doug

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I had a chance to see Yes at the taste of Chicago about 2 years ago. They played a free concert with Kansas who is one of my favorite bands. But, we got tired of standing after Kansas played so I missed Yes. I am not all that farmiliar with a lot of their music, but I know their hits pretty well. Too bad I missed them. They are coming back to Chicago later this summer but they are charging for the show this time.

All concerts are better when you don't have to pay for them....

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's cool stuff at the Petrillo music shell in Grant Park almost every weekend in the summer, timwhit.

I saw the Barenboim and the CSO (well, Grant Park SO but probably it was 80% CSO members) do Beethoven's 9th for free a few years ago. The next weekend it was a Jazz group and I know they get free pop (rock, country, whatever) performances, too.

What are you doing now, timwhit?

Mercutio

Two of my favorite pieces of 1970s music are Arvo Pärt's "Für Alina" and Henryk Gorecki's 3rd Symphony (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs).

Not that my selections are what you had in mind...

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
timwhit said:
Someone should start a 70s music thread. Not me though, I'm not around here enough anymore...

I wasn't around then enough... :eek:

Actually I don't really like seventies music that much. I like sixties music and then my preferences jump to mid/late eighties and early ninties.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
What are you doing now, timwhit?

I'm in Homewood, IL for the summer, working at a place called Computer Business Solutions. Mostly I sit in an office writing VBA code for Access Database applications.

Recently I have been researching some point of sale systems for one of our clients. I don't particularly like writing code all day. Especially since I am the only one in the office most of the time, I get bored...I would rather work with several people, preferrably that know what they are doing (I'm not a fan of teaching people how to use Access).

If anyone wants to talk about VBA or database design that is what i end up thinking about all day for some reason.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I like Sixties music, sometimes a little Seventies (still a big-time Dylan/Stones/Neil Young/Jethro Tull fan), but mostly these days my prefferences have swung over to the 18th and 19th Centuries.

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
Mercutio said:
Two of my favorite pieces of 1970s music are Arvo Pärt's "Für Alina" and Henryk Gorecki's 3rd Symphony (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs).

Not that my selections are what you had in mind...

The Clash's London Calling was released in the '70s too, but that probably doesn't really qualify either. Odd how consensus is formed with this sort of thing. I think back to the seventies as the time of punk, but I know that's not the general understanding of the term and has more to do with me than anything else.
I didn't hear Pärt or Gorecki until the hit the 'charts' a while ago (4 years? 5?), so I have them in the equivalent of the '90s folder in my brain.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
70's punk? I never looked at that era that way (although I probably was one in the seventies). 70's was rock and disco. Did I mention Jimmy Buffett? I think I have once or twice before.

JKKJ

That's what I mean. I was too young to catch the disco stuff, and became aware of music just at the end of the seventies (I'm pushing it a little: London Calling came out Dec of '79 in the UK - I just checked - must've been the '80s here in Canada) but that stuff is from the 70's in my brain, and that's good enought for me.

Nothing like a good bout of subjective reality when you've had a glass too many of red. Bartender...this BC Merlot...very fine.

Mercutio

I'm looking at dates for composition, of course. Most of the tintinnabuli pieces (as opposed to the early 12-tone stuff) is mid-70s or early 80s in origin. The newer choral works are really the best pieces, though, IMHO. I picked up an early Pärt recording on BIS in 1988 though, so it isn't like his music wasn't available (in Urbana IL, anyway). I'm pretty sure there was a recording of "Tabula Rasa" made prior to 86, too, since I've seen it on vinyl.
Gorecki, yeah, the Upshaw/Nonesuch recording hit *pop* charts in Europe in 1992. I got to review it for my high school newspaper. But the work had been around since the 70s. Personally I actually like the Naxos recording better. Upshaw's voice is lyrical and perfect of course, but not suited (too bright), at least to me for the depth that should be evoked by the soprano vocal throughout the work.
90s composers: Well, I take Takemitsu seriously, and John Williams score for Schindler's List (wow). Philip Glass made some significant work in the 90s: I saw "La Belle et a la Bete" live and of course his interpretation of Dracula is marvelous. I vacillate on some others... Tippet and John Adams and Steve Reich ("Different Trains" was pushing it).

No one *ever* wants to talk about Pärt or Gorecki.

JKKJ

Actually, Tabula Rasa was the first Pärt recording I picked up (Gidon Kremer on ECM vinyl in...wait a sec, I'll check...Sep '95! Oh no, can't be that long ago!) JKKJ stares wistfully into the sky as a time flies/I'm getting old moment goes by.

I like the space in these pieces, they're just not of this time.

Onomatopoeic

[quote="time] ...and Rick became heavily in demand for session work with other artistes. At the height of his session career, Rick was doing eighteen a week. It is estimated that he has performed on over 2,000 different tracks by artistes as diverse as Black Sabbath, Cat Stevens (Morning Has Broken being the most remembered), Mary Hopkins, Cilla Black, Clive Dunn, Elton John, Edison Lighthouse, David Bowie, Lou Reed, Dana, Des O'Connor, Magna Carta, Al Stewart, Ralph McTell, Butterscotch, Biddu and Harry Nilsson.[/i][/quote]

The session work Rick Wakeman did with most of these folk was Mellotron work. A Mellotron is nowadays a fairly rare musical instrument. A Mellotron is a keyboard instrument that uses a single tape for each key and each tape can have 2 or 3 "voices" (recorded instruments). I've both played and repaired a various models of Mellotron before. You haven't experienced adventure until you've dealt with Mellotrons -- you don't know what the hell's gonna break next. Or, to paraphrase Robert Fripp (I believe it was), "Which is easier to work with, a Mellotron or a '57 Chevy? The answer is a '57 Chevy, because at least you can tune a '57 Chevy!" Otherwise, a Mellotron operating at peak efficiency can be a unique if not spectacular sounding instrument, even if it uses tape recordings of "real" instruments.

http://www.mellotron.com/

Onomatopoeic

Bartender said:
70's punk? I never looked at that era that way (although I probably was one in the seventies). 70's was rock and disco. Did I mention Jimmy Buffett? I think I have once or twice before.

Yes, there was definitely punkrock in the '70s. Actually, most of the better punkrock WAS in the '70s! Punk was pretty boring after 1982 or so. Wire, Siouxsie, Sex Pistols, Clash, and some others started in the 70s as well as some pseudo-punk types like Wire, Cure, Bauhaus, Joy Division, etc.

Mercutio

I'm pretty sure that was a re-issue. I think the "original" recording of Tabula Rasa was Gil Shaham but of course it might've been Kramer and I'm certain it was released back in the 80s.

I was a weird little kid.

Anyway, the choral works: Miserere, Litany, his Magnifcat and his Beatus and the Magnificat-Antiphonen... simply unearthly. Spiritual to an atheist. What more can be said than that?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Punk Rock came about precisely because the Seventies was the era of Disco, of Boz Scags, of the Village People, of Sherbet and Air Supply, of the shagged-out, scagged out, no-longer-creative overblown giants of the past who didn't know when to retire. Shall I name names? Why not? Greg Alman, Rick Wakeman, Eric Claptout, Jefferson Starship, countless others.

'77 was the year. The Pistols hit London, and, for the first time since the late Sixties, music mattered once more.

Most Punk Rock was dreadful: as lacking in imagination and real innovation as the "dinosaur music" it mocked. But some, just a little, was as truly great as the great music of the Sixties had been. Never mind the Bollocks is as fresh and powerful today as it was in the summer of '77, or, indeed, as Blowing in the Wind was in '62 or (I can't get no) Satisfaction was in '65.

PS: this is why 90125 was such a superb album: here was a group of utterly worthless dinosaurs, who had achieved nothing of note for many years, suddenly turning around and saying "wait up you bastards, there is life in this old dog yet!" And there was. It was their finest achievement.

Splash

Tea said:
PS: this is why 90125 was such a superb album: here was a group of utterly worthless dinosaurs, who had achieved nothing of note for many years, suddenly turning around and saying "wait up you bastards, there is life in this old dog yet!" And there was. It was their finest achievement.

I never did like Yes -- "90125" or whatever it was called.

Their best album was without a doubt "Going For The One"
00000243.jpg
, though most of the earlier albums had their particular moments.

Actually, at least in my opinion, maybe the best Yes album is actually Jon Anderson's -- "Olias Of Sunhillow."
00033760.jpg

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

For what it's worth, I saw Yes back in 1977 when they were out doing their "Going For The One" tour. Me and another bloke did a short interview with Anderson, Howe, and Squire. Er... this was when I was working for a radio station as sort of a weird side job.

Heh! Actually, we did a LOT of interviews with people / bands back then. I usually didn't participate in these interviews, as I was the person that operated the portable Nagra open reel recorder and punched out any slobs that got too close. But, if we were interviewing anyone that I was particularly interested in, I'd chip in much more than average. Just a few of these interviewees that pop into my mind would be: Yes (of course), King Crimson, Robin Trower, Frank Zappa (twice), Captain Beefheart, Peter Hammill and VanDerGraaf Generator, Black Sabbath + Van Halen, The Tubes, Devo, ehhhhh... I know there were many more, oh ya Santana, ehhhhhhhh....... The Plasmatics, ehhhh..... whatever. A completely different person and me also were concert promoters a little bit later on. I could talk about that, but I suspect few of you would know who the hell I was talking about or care if I mentioned The Residents or Hüsker Dü or eh...

Platform

Cliptin said:
I had a teacher in high school in '91 who listened to Bauhaus and Hüsker Dü. I've been meaning to pick some stuff. Descibe the sound.

You'd be much better off previewing their works at a CD store or an online place with clips. Bauhaus and Hüsker Dü are significantly different. Much too simplified descriptions: Bauhaus is a dark, artsy, thick moody atmospheres, sometimes loud; Hüsker Dü is always loud, fast, and emotional. Neither are what one would consider commercial hitmakers by any stretch of the imagination.

Best albums?

Bauhaus: "1979 ~ 1983" (compilation), otherwise their first and second albums are fine: "In A Flat Field" and "Mask."

Hüsker Dü: "Zen Arcade" or "Flip Your Wig."