Replacing heatsink on 939 based board.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
So I'll be replacing the stock heatsink fan that has been installed for years with a new one. Anything to be leery of when removing the old one? How should I get off any residue?

I have to remove the motherboard for this correct? As I'll have to install a new bracket on the back of the motherboard.

ddrueding

Fixture
If the new heatsink requires a back bracket other than stock, and the chassis doesn't have a rear cutout for such things, you will need to remove the motherboard.

Be careful about how much pressure is required to remove the HSF; I've had older ones stick so tightly to the chip that it pulled the CPU from the socket with some pins staying and some going :(

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Most common solvents remove the thermal compound residues. IPA would be fine for example.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Bah! Failed. Not in removing the heatsink, but in installing the new one.
I ran prime 95 on the machine for like 15 minutes prior to heat up the thermal pad and make it easier to remove. A couple twists and it was released. No problem.
I bought an Thermalright Ultra 120 with the bracket for the 939 socket long time ago. Went to install it and found that I also needed to order a custom 939 backplane. I'm not even sure how you would remove the existing one. It was held on with white plastic nail like things.

So I just put some thermal paste on the old heatsink and slapped it back on.

All this because the 70mm fan on the CPU was starting to fail. I'm just going to replace the fan.

Sol

Storage is cool
If the nail like things are what I think they are then they should have a slot cut in the pointy end so you can squeeze them with a pair of pliers and they'll pop through the board.

It's surprising that the 939 back plate didn't come with the bracket. Back when 939 was common I remember always getting all the parts together.

It does seem like it might be more trouble getting the plate than just replacing the fan though, especially for such an old system. Assuming you can find another use for that Ultra 120 of course. It'd be a shame to waste such a nice heat-sink.