Region Poll

ddrueding

Fixture
Considering that my local friends pool has now shrunk to 1, and that she's more of a GF than a F, my social options are beginning to suck. This in addidion to my new business opening very soon and random curiosity have prompted this question:

Is there anyone here (in cyberspace) that live around here (in actual space)?

I'm talking Monterey, Salinas, Santa Cruz and the area 20+ miles around it. I'm certain there are some members in the SJ area as well.

If so, wanna hang out? Wanna job?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
David once again proving he's my opposite.

I'd guess that most of our members are either in Ballarat (not counting puppets: Tannin, Soup Nazi, sol, Kristi) or Houston (counting GaryH's puppets). There are quite a few of us around Lake Michigan, too.

Cheer up. Once your store opens your life will be filled with dozens of guys with a dubious handle on personal hygene and personalities that could bore an actuary, and you'll feel better every time you make that comparison. ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
David once again proving he's my opposite.

Opposite? You mean you don't want friends? I was under the impression that you wouln't mind, yet feel disinclined/discouraged by the "slim pickings" and relative lack of social skills. This would make us very, very similar.

If the regional dispersion is as clumped as you imply, that would indicate that people met in the physical realm (one where geography matters) before joining here (where common interest and language is the only common ground). Is that the case? I've never met anyone from either of the fora in person, though I've seen pictures of a half-dozen of them.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't have friends or the means to get any, so SF gets all my social energy. You want real world interaction. I really find it draining, and in a lot of circumstances it makes me physically ill.

I'd hazard that Tannin knew the Ballarat delegation before coming to SR. I've met Fushigi, spoken to Handy and Tannin by telephone, have phone numbers for several others here. Howell/Cliptin's friend Dozer visits here sometimes, and I know Howell has met jtr. IIRC JamesW met with Ian Hobday (neither visit here that often, but still) once to trade some kit. Handy's had co-workers swing by...

Real Life meetings *do* happen. Just not for the lazy members of the California delegation (sechs, Santilli, ddrueding, Buck, mubs and probably a few more I don't remember) :)

If I ever get the will to travel, meeting SFers would probably be high on my list of reasons to go someplace.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I was the one that met JamesW at Sydney airport, I was on my way thru to shoot in Auckland, and he was returning from Japan. He kindly brought some lubbly Nanya PC 2100 reg ECC DDR for my duallie happiness.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Did someone say "a job?" The dole checks stop later this month....

...But I don't know how I'd get to Monterrey. The train doesn't go there, and I hate long bus trips.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
sechs said:

...But I don't know how I'd get to Monterrey. The train doesn't go there, and I hate long bus trips.

Move there?

David - Got an extra room for a few weeks?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
We'll be over in the summer. Dunno whether to go to Vegas before or after. Perhaps both? :D Be sure to stock up on Bombay Sapphire.

ddrueding

Fixture
sechs said:

Yes, I said "a job". Not a very good-paying one, but you do get to play computer games on killer systems all day.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
If I ever get the will to travel, meeting SFers would probably be high on my list of reasons to go someplace.

Quite honestly, this has been my dream vacation for nearly a year now. Just globe trotting meeting people I've already spent years getting to know.

SteveC

Storage is cool
ddrueding said:
sechs said:

Yes, I said "a job". Not a very good-paying one, but you do get to play computer games on killer systems all day.

So, how serious are you about that job offer? I could use a change in my life, right now.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
ddrueding said:

I did, in fact do this for a while for Electronic Arts. Given, The Sims is not my game of choice, but children and housewives across America made the pay acceptable.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Sorry David, but I don't even leave south Orange County if I don't have to. :) Mubs is probably the closest regular on this forum, but it is still far for me. Maybe the difference is that my life is already busy with a lot of family and friends. This stupid 'work' thing keeps getting in the way of me associating with them as often as I would like. :mrgrn:

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
ddrueding said:
...Is there anyone here (in cyberspace) that live around here (in actual space)? If so, wanna hang out? Wanna job?

I can't take the job, but I *was* semi-regularly appearing in the Santa Cruz and (just over the range) Santa Clara county areas at one time (Alameda and Contra Costa as well).

ddrueding

Fixture
SteveC said:
ddrueding said:
sechs said:

So, how serious are you about that job offer? I could use a change in my life, right now.

Very Serious. I'll put it out here right now. If you want a fun job, give me a call @ 831.206.7395. 9:30AM to 1:00AM PST. Can't promise much money, but it should be a lot of fun.

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
Alas!
I grew up in San Jose but left the Bay Area in 99 and have only made short visits since then. I have a cousin living in Salinas and another friend I've lost touch with. Perhaps the next time I fly by.

Free