Recommendation for low/mid-level P-ATA PCI adapter

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I'm shortly going to need an adapter to add a disk to a PC I'll be receiving. The PC is a Compaq and the onboard IDE has issues recognizing drives, or more to the point recognizing the OS on a drive. As I'll be putting my own drive in the unit (a P-ATA drive somewhere between 160 & 200GB), I figure using a PCI controller may yield better results than the onboard unit.

No particular budget in mind. I've no need for RAID. Just a decent-performing card.

I'd like to hear what you folks would consider to be good brands and/or models as I've not been in this market for some time.

Thanks!

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
There are plenty of those ATA133 cards that Maxtor handed out like candy....

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
$35!

Consider this Syba Silicon Image based card for $18.50
I used this for a while and have a used one if you're interested.
Only catch is you have to flash it to the IDE bios prior to using it in non-raid.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Too late; I just ordered. :-? Well, it's only a few $ more and I have had good experience with Promise in the past. I also added a notebook drive to replace a failing drive in an old P3 Dell I've got laying around as well as a couple of other trinkets. So the total price for the order makes it still a bargain.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Regarding the notebook drive mentioned above, is Ghost still the recommended way to move stuff from the old to the new drive? And if so any reason not to buy OEM 9.0 for about $25 vs. retail 9.0 for $70-$20MIR? Or is 9.0 garbage and 2003 is the version to cherish?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm not really fond of the new version. I understand it's based on the Drive Image source code rather than on previous versions of Ghost. I still use 2003 for most of my needs at this point.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I doubt the OEM version of 9 is different from the full version. Since it includes 2003 functionality, I'll pick it up. These guys seem reputable enough and are a decent bit cheaper than NewEgg ($29 shipped vs. $46).