Read-only SAS cable?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Have you guys ever heard of a read only (forensic) SAS cable?

My initial thoughts are that such a thing doesn't exist as of yet.

TIA, Pradeep.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I don't see how it can occur.

A SAS cable is basicly a set of transmit/receive serial cables. All the actual data is encoded inside SCSI commands to be intrepreted by the two controllers. It would be in the controllers/Drive/OS layers not the physical cable where such a command could be given and enforced

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Left-handed spanner? Ghost has a forensic mode, but I don't see how a cable could. It's just wires that transmit electricity.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Apparently one of the guys at work could make one by breaking off a pin or connector with the ole PATA drives. Can't get away with that during serial ops.

Handruin

Administrator
I thought some SCSI hard drives came with a WORM mode that could be enabled via jumper?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I thought some SCSI hard drives came with a WORM mode that could be enabled via jumper?

The SCSI communication standard has a write only sense code that can be set via software per device or HW, commonly set via a jumper but can be firmware-wired into the device controller, but that is still not at the physical cable level.

ddrueding

Fixture
I can't see how such a thing would be possible with serial communications. Which wire is "send"? Which "receive"? Unless the cable had a full-blown computer connected to it, that prevented any writes from going back to the drive...

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Dude. You have to send commands to receive data. That's all that there is to it.

Handruin

Administrator
The SCSI communication standard has a write only sense code that can be set via software per device or HW, commonly set via a jumper but can be firmware-wired into the device controller, but that is still not at the physical cable level.

I kinda thought so, but I guess my point was why deal with this in the cable, when you can do it on the drive?