Private Peer-to-Peer?

ddrueding

Fixture
Nevermind. You need their premium version to transfer more than one file at a time, or to download a file from multiple sources.

I'm OK with paying for software, but they are charging monthly for stand-alone software? FTS.

Still looking...

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
My friends and I just use FTP. Hassle to setup with firewalls though, and you have to go for an odd port number as most ISP's block 21. I just put my port up in the thirty thousands and have never had a problem with ISP blocking.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
With FTP, you are relying on your ISP's bandwidth. I think the whole point of bittorrent is to do away with that limitation and just use the ISP for tracking the bittorrents.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
With FTP, you are relying on your ISP's bandwidth. I think the whole point of bittorrent is to do away with that limitation and just use the ISP for tracking the bittorrents.

But with a private P2P WAN, wouldn't your user numbers by in the single digits or 10's, negating many of the advantages that large scale P2P networks bring, eg bandwidth sharing?

I see FTP as a viable solution for this scenario (considering all Win2K+ boxes come with a FTP server built-in as part of IIS)?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It might be slower, but you wouldn't be using astronomical amounts of bandwidth hosting the files yourself.

ddrueding

Fixture
The idea is to have a complete copy of all files at all locations. By using p2p instead of FTP, all the existing users could help bring a new node up to speed.