potential first evidence supporting string theory

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
does anyone else here have an interest in string theory? I've been wanting to ask this for a while now but haven’t and I really don’t know why now that I think of it. since string theory is really starting to get some public awareness, perhaps it’s the case that we’re all fans or followers of it :)

anyway, a very interesting item came to "light" in the form of a stellar observation that can best be explained using string theory. cool eh'? the inital evidence proposal came from a Harvard prof in June this year:

"Anomalous Fluctuations in Observations of Q0957+561 A,B: Smoking Gun of a Cosmic String?"

We report the detection of anomalous brightness fluctuations in the multiple image Q0957+561 A,B gravitational lens system, and consider whether such anomalies have a plausible interpretation within the framework of cosmic string theory. We study a simple model of gravitational lensing by an asymmetrical rotating string. An explicit form of the lens equation is obtained and approximate relations for magnification are derived. We show that such a model with typical parameters of the GUT string can quantitatively reproduce the observed pattern of brightness fluctuations. On the other hand, explanation involving a binary star system as an alternative cause requires an unacceptably large massive object at a small distance. We also discuss possible observational manifestations of cosmic strings within our lens model.

if you have an interest in string theory, be it vague or involved, this month's New Scientist cover feature is an article about it. it's reasonably short but does a good job of explaining some of the fundamentals and reasoning about superstrings along with the potential new evidence. if you want to get into the meat of it, I have the complete original report which is a fascinating read and may just turn a follower into a real fan of string theory. happy to share it with anyone that wants a read of it.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Our local PBS station did had a NOVA program on about it last night. I didn't get to watch the whole thing, but it was very interesting.

Bozo :mrgrn:

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
I've been interested in it for quite a while, though I haven't had a whole lot of time to pursue it.. Still over my head, but fascinating.

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
Potential First Evidence Supporting String Theory

I've taken what I long thought was String Theory and have made it String Fact: The more often you run, the more likely your shoe strings will become un-tied. I have proven this over and over again. I will present my findings on stage in Geneva sometime in 2005.