Plextor's First DVD Writer: PX-504 DVD+R/W

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
PX-504 DVD+R/W
504_photo_specs.gif

==============================================
6-in-1 drive: 4X DVD+R, 2.4X DVD+RW, 12X DVD-ROM, 16X CD-R, 10X CD-RW, 40X max CD-ROM
Buffer Under Run Proof technology prevents errors in CD-R/RW writing
Lossless Linking prevents errors in DVD writing
High capacity - Holds 4.7 GB of storage on DVD media
120ms Average CD Random Access
140ms Average DVD Random Access
2 MB Buffer
Black tray minimizes jitters
Flash ROM allows for easy upgrade over the Internet
Supports DVD+RW background format
Useable DVD Formats: DVD-ROM, DVD Video, Multi Border (closed disc read only), multi session
Useable CD Formats: CD-DA; CD-ROM Mode 1; CD-ROM Mode 2; CD-ROM XA, CD-I; Photo CD; Video CD; CD-Extra; CD Text; Multi-session, UDF
Recording DVD+R/RW Modes: Sequential write, Random access write and Disc-at-one
Recording CD-R/RW Modes: Track-at-once, Disc-at-once, Session-at-once, Multi-session, Fixed and Variable Packet Writing
Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP Compatible
One-Year Full Warranty and Unlimited Toll-Free Tech Support

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/504A.html

Splash

Mercutio said:
Too bad for that unfortunate "+"

Is "+" so bad? I own a "-" (a Pioneer DVR-104).

In the ranks of the professional and industrial DVD world, drives using -R (-R/W) technology are all that exist, only because they came along significantly earlier. All standalone duplicators use -R/W. Professional DVD video mastering recorders (i.e. -- Panasonic) use -R/W and/or DVD-RAM technology.

DVD+R drive mechanisms tend to be more price efficient and a tad faster on average at writing speeds than DVD-R drive mechanisms. Sony has a true combo drive becoming available that can write CD-R, CD-R/W, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R/W, and DVD-R/W -- but at an upcharge of about US$180 street price for this capability.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Everything I've read indicates that that "-" means that the disc you make is far more likely to be readable in a console DVD player.

I'll take the "-".

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
that only applies to older console players Merc. newer ones, say 2 years or less should have no difficulty playing a "+" DVD.

I'd prefer the "+" over "-". with Sony and Phillips behind the "+" and now M$ as well, (be it right or wrong), it will likely be the format that emerges as the major stardard.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm happy with my Sony multiformat. Though due to media pricing I mostly use DVD-R. For data I use DVD+RW and DVD+R.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I prefer the + as well. I wouldn't mess with Sony/Philips and their standards... :wink:

Jan Kivar

IIRC, Microsoft has promised to make native support for "+" drives in the next Winblows.

Cheers,

Jan