Played with the G5 1.6 and 1.8 yesterday...

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Santilli said:
In other words, true to form, Apple released the computers without an OS that takes full advantage of the processor design. :roll:

Maybe that's why the guys are waiting for panther.

It's a common artifact of the RD Field. Either the OS is really advanced and needs the very latest hardware which will be released "any month now".... or the new hardware is supercomputer whizbang and the OS update to bring out the best is "just-around-the-corner".

Apparently Panther will finally bring the amazing cutting edge support for 5.1 digital audio that the Apple DVD player has been lacking since forever. Oh yes apparently there is a program that will decode it but it's unstable and the UI is crap. Fortunately the x86 world has had multi-channel digital audio for years now. To think that once all Macs had analog (video) audio in/out (back when they really were faster and more advanced than their PC counterparts). Now they have a digital audio output port "WOW".

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Yes:
No scsi, worse audio, I'm waiting to see what the real limits are on this machine, when the real mac speed guys get a hold of it. Wouldn't be shocked if they pulled a G3, cheap chip trick again...

gs

e_dawg

Storage Freak
There's nothing like getting spurned by an old friend. I used to love the Mac and had tremendous pride for the efficient, elegant machine that could allow me to do twice as much as a typical PC user could. But after '95, Apple's tired, empty promises and unfulfilled potential just left me cold. Even now, when there seems to be much promise from Jaguar, Panther, and the G5's, I can only shake my head and say "I'm not falling for that BS again"...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I got to the point that I had spent 3 grand, or, actually, 5500 bucks on their machines, and the POS had crippled PCI bus, and, crippled ide channels, to the tune of half the industry standard, paying nearly twice as much.

The dell I bought at the same time, with a 440 BX mobo, is still and 400 mhz P2, is still functioning, with an IDE harddrive upgrade, Quantum LM.

The mac is sitting in storage. I use my Lombard for school mac stuff, and, thanks to it's tiny hard drive, I may have to upgrade it.

gs

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The last Mac that I operated was a IIfx. With a Radius portrait monitor it much nicer to operate then a DOS/Windows system.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The last Apple product I used on any regular basis was a ][e. Or was it the ][+. Never really worked on the GS models... :lol:

e_dawg

Storage Freak
The first time I saw a mouse driven GUI, it blew my mind. It was the Apple Lisa, which had the high-res Mac Finder desktop (as opposed to the CLI of the IIe). I was still fairly young at the time (something like 11 years old?) and was absolutely mesmorized by the icons and the mouse. Of course, I asked my dad for it as an xmas present. I think he almost had a heart attack when he found out that it cost something like $9,000 CDN (would have been something like $7,500 US at the time?). I was shocked when I found out it was that much too. Wow, $9,000! It seemed like a million dollars to me at the time.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
My boss, at the Shadowbrook, Ted Burke, was one of the geniuses :roll:
that bought one of those POS. It took a minute to enter a single digit entry, on a wine inventory program the SF had written.

He also bought another POS inventory, Point of sale system, that, while on the bleeding edge, was another POS.

Computer programs for restaurants suck.
They did then, and they still do.
gs