PCIe molex 12 V connector

Handruin

Administrator
Do all motherboard that have PCI Express also have a 4 pin, 12 volt molex connector on the motherboard to give power to the PCIe devices?

My gigabyte board has this and the only info I can find in the user manual says this:

PCIE_12V (Power Connector)
The PCIE_12V power connector supplies extra power to the PCIE x 16 slot. Connect this
connector depending on your system requirements.

It doesn't tell me why I should or should not use this. Is it bad to leave a connection on it? How would I know if I do not need this? My video card had its own PCIe power connection, but now I have a temporary card that does not...

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have seen that connector on a couple of motherboards. I always plug a connector into it, even if I don't use the x16 slot.

Seems okay, never had a problem.

Bozo :joker:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
You should use it (feed power). Many motherboards require the additional power at this point. The manual for my DFI motherboard says if I don't plug this in, there will be stability problems.

Handruin

Administrator
I guess I was just worried that it might damage cards using PCIe that don't have their own power connection. I left it connected and I'm using an ATi x1300 at the moment. I tried using my matrox card until it started hanging my machine. I'll have to wait until newegg gets me back a new card.

I have to say, it's nice having a passively cooled graphics card, my machine is so quiet.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have to say, it's nice having a passively cooled graphics card, my machine is so quiet.

That is why I'm tempted to keep my 7950GT; it is the fastest passively cooled card out, AFAIK. I'm considering SLI-ing them before installing a leaf-blower into my machine.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The 8800-series cards have a really quiet cooling solution.
It's woefully inadequate to keeping the card cool under load, but it's very quiet.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
Do all motherboard that have PCI Express also have a 4 pin, 12 volt molex connector on the motherboard to give power to the PCIe devices?

My gigabyte board has this and the only info I can find in the user manual says this:

PCIE_12V (Power Connector)
The PCIE_12V power connector supplies extra power to the PCIE x 16 slot. Connect this
connector depending on your system requirements.

If you are talking about the "square-ish" 4-pin (2x2) Molex power connector with 2 yellow and 2 black wires, that is a +12 volt microprocessor power connector. That connector was introduced at the beginning of the Pentium 4 era.

PCI Express power connectors are similar 6-pin (3x2) Molex connectors.

Handruin

Administrator
If you are talking about the "square-ish" 4-pin (2x2) Molex power connector with 2 yellow and 2 black wires, that is a +12 volt microprocessor power connector. That connector was introduced at the beginning of the Pentium 4 era.

PCI Express power connectors are similar 6-pin (3x2) Molex connectors.

No, I'm talking about the standard 4-pin molex connector that is normally used to connect to EIDE hard drives or optical drives (all for power pins are in a row, or 1 x 4 configuration). This connection on the motherboard specifically says PCIe 12 volt and it was not around in the earlier Pentium 4 days.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The answer is no. Matter of fact I've never seen a motherboard that required me to plug a molex connector into it. I have seen many molex to PCI-e 6 pin convertors that use a standard molex power connector off the PS to plug into a PCI-e video card. I've also seen many 4 pin (2x2) and 8 pin (2x4) connectors that plug into the MB from the PS but never direct molex to MB.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The answer is no. Matter of fact I've never seen a motherboard that required me to plug a molex connector into it. I have seen many molex to PCI-e 6 pin convertors that use a standard molex power connector off the PS to plug into a PCI-e video card. I've also seen many 4 pin (2x2) and 8 pin (2x4) connectors that plug into the MB from the PS but never direct molex to MB.

Most Intel motherboards that have a PCI-e x16 slot have a molex connector on them. Been that way for about a year. I always plug a cable into it whether I use the slot or not.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!

Most Intel motherboards that have a PCI-e x16 slot have a molex connector on them. Been that way for about a year. I always plug a cable into it whether I use the slot or not.