PC Gaming = World of Suck

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Apparently GoG.com is back. They were just fucking with people before they launched a new version of their site.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I fired up a game of Alpha Centauri last night. It was Academician Proctor Zakharov's pleasure to deliver a personalized beating to Sister Miriam Godwinson.
Does it work in Windows 7?

Until the XP patch, it was pretty goofy on NT OSes.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Does anyone know of any PC games that let you build rockets, like the Saturn V?

Or any simple side or down scrolling space orientated games? even lunar lander type games?

All the stuff I'm finding is flashed based and needs to be played online, but I'm after something that is installed and played locally.

I remember heaps being available in the C64, early IBM PC era, but can't find anything recent.

PS. should be able to run on a netbook as well.

Mercutio

When I was a kid, my father made me play a game called Robot Odyssey to teach me the basics of Electrical Engineering. Nothing to do with rockets, but looking for a rocket design game reminded me of it.

Mercutio

Gog.com has added Planescape: Torment, very possibly the best role playing game of all time, period; and also Icewind Dale, another Infinity Engine title, to its list of available products.

Handruin

Administrator
Anyone play Minecraft? My buddy is playing and I'm considering joining the alpha version and hosting a server for some future multiplayer. The game has cheesy graphics, but a fun concept of building things. I've been watching tutorials on youtube and I like what I see so far.

Handruin

Administrator
I bought in to the Minecraft Alpha version and I setup my own server at home. Me and a couple friends are playing on it. If anyone gets into the game, send me a PM and I'll send out the server info if you're interested.

Handruin

Administrator
It's not for everyone. It's a fun creative outlet and you can play in a survival mode when the bad guys come out at night.

ddrueding

Fixture
Considering the statistical obsessives that are all over the Civ world, I doubt I'm the first, but I managed to get a city to 91 population!

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Gog.com has added Planescape: Torment, very possibly the best role playing game of all time, period; and also Icewind Dale, another Infinity Engine title, to its list of available products.

When I bought Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, the shop gave me a copy of Planescape: Torment for free. I've got it still, unopened.

Mercutio

When I bought Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, the shop gave me a copy of Planescape: Torment for free. I've got it still, unopened.

You are missing out on something absolutely fantastic. Though I am kind of impressed that you've held on to boxed software this long.

Mercutio

Plus, then you'll have spent $400 just to play GT5 which if nothing else is probably a decent chunk of a mortgage payment.

Handruin

Administrator
Plus, then you'll have spent $400 just to play GT5 which if nothing else is probably a decent chunk of a mortgage payment.

That might be less than 1/5 of a mortgage payment around here, but I know what you mean. That money can be better spent in other areas. I just bought a table saw to help work on home repairs. That was about $200 and so far has been well worth it in solving a few of our problems.

Handruin

Administrator
Doesn't seem like there is any happy middle anyway. If I buy a console...Merc calls me a filthy console gamer. When I play modern games on the PC which come through steam...I'm sure he'll have some other colorful words for me as well.

Mercutio

Doesn't seem like there is any happy middle anyway. If I buy a console...Merc calls me a filthy console gamer. When I play modern games on the PC which come through steam...I'm sure he'll have some other colorful words for me as well.

It's not my fault that modern computer gaming is so terrible. Bad games. Horrible control schemes. Unacceptable copy protection. Assumptions of console behavior on vastly more capable hardware.

I'm not seeing the good in anything that's been released in the last five years or so. Dragon Age wasn't awful and I'm holding out hope for Mechwarrior 5, but gaming isn't anything like it used to be.

Handruin

Administrator
In the past 5 years there have been some good games. The single player for Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 were well done. Borderlands was fun, but it does have some hangovers from a console. The World of Goo can be bought without copy protection and was built for the PC. Actually, I have an extra license for it if you want to play it. Try the demo and see if you like it. Another game I really enjoyed was Plants vs Zombies.

What about StarCraft II? Diablo III is on the horizon? I'm also looking forward to DukeNukem Forever. I would also be very excited if Mechwarrior 5 made it to the shelves. There are a bunch of indie games out there that are well done. Super Meat Boy is fun if you like challenging puzzle-type games.

Sol

Storage is cool
I rationalized my console purchases based on the idea that there exists a class of games that just work better on a console... Oddly many of the games that seem to really sell, and sell consoles, are not actually in that class (I.e. FPS games which are generally much, much better on a PC)

But games like Devil May Cry, Demons Souls and Infamous are all made for console games that wouldn't be any better on a PC (Demons Souls probably wouldn't be any worse either and Devil May Cry is admittedly only quite as bad as it is on PC because Capcom couldn't port a game to save their lives.)

I haven't really lacked games that I've wanted to play and been happy to play on a PS3. GT5 isn't on, or even near my list but even so I got my PS3 essentially just for one game (which turned out to be a bit disappointing) and I've never regretted the purchase.

Handruin

Administrator
I bought my xbox 360 because of RockBand...I've not regretted it. I love playing the game and I love how much better I've become with playing the drums because of it. It has also opened me up to more music. This type of game does not play well on a PC.

Sol

Storage is cool
At the moment I'm splitting my gaming time between Civ5 and Fallout New Vegas... Civ5 is probably my favorite Civ since the original and new New Vegas is more of Fallout 3 which is no bad thing (Apart from the bugs which I really didn't need more of...)

I was generally pretty unimpressed with Starcraft 2, but I haven't played it multiplayer so I can't say I've given it a fair go. It certainly doesn't seem to push the genre forward at all from the original though. But apparently the world at large does not agree with my assessment that Command and Conquer Generals is the greatest RTS to date.

I hold very little hope of liking Diablo 3 either. Loved the first one, hated the sequel, don't like the odds...

ddrueding

Fixture
CNC:Generals was awesome. But once you've experienced the flexability of full zoom control in Supreme Commander, nothing else is acceptable.

Fallout 3 was so good that I won't buy Vegas. I don't have the time to spare. Civ5 can run in the background and have a turn or two an hour.

Mercutio

Fallout 3 was so good that I won't buy Vegas.

Fallout 3 wound up being a huge disappointment. Not enough tile sets or different bad guys to fight and it just wasn't very much like the other Fallout games.

Anyway, as I said before, modern gaming is pretty barren to me. It's a damned shame now that we have such awesome hardware, but I can look at what's available now and there's not a single thing I think is compelling. I don't want to be stuck re-playing the same few games, but there's nothing appealing about driving games, JRPGs or Blizzard's latest click-fest and the trends to port console titles unchanged and impose draconian copy protection on new titles just keep getting worse and worse.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
CNC:Generals was awesome.
Having seen Generals during development, when the generals were in it, I found it disappointing. It was sad that you had to get the expansion pack to get the game as originally envisioned.

I think that the most recent game that I have is Portal. Actually, just a few days ago, I reinstalled Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault; I felt the need to shoot things, and I'd originally played this long enough ago to not remember how I got through.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I bought new Vegas on a Bf deal but haven't played it at all yet, I don't want to get into it when I am traveling so much with long times away from it. Will leave it for winter.

In iOS devices gears free and zombie farm grabbed a significant amount of my time in the last couple months. Sort of avoiding the plants vs zombies and angry birds for now.

Handruin

Administrator
I really enjoyed plants vs zombies on the PC and it held my attention through the entire game which is rare these days. I haven't tried it on the iPhone yet.

Another game I just played over the weekend and beat was Limbo. That game also held my attention and I didn't want to stop playing. The puzzles weren't super-challenging, but it was fun.

ddrueding

Fixture
TDU2 is a massive f*cking disappointment. I enjoyed TDU so much, I bought it three times, and completely beat it (driving every road on the island) twice! I logged massive hours on that game not because it was the best graphically, but because the loosely tied together gameplay gave me actual choice. What type of races do I like, what do I want to do, maybe I'll just drive around the entire island for a couple hours and discover stuff.

TDU2 has the same kind of choice as a first-person shooter; "look at this huge map! now here is your next objective. No, we won't give you any other goals until you complete this one". The graphics are, frankly, an embarrassment compared to GT5 on the PS3 or DIRT2/F1 on the PC. The physics model actually seems worst than the original, which was released 5 years ago!

I've only put an hour into it, but these are my impressions so far.