Patch your D-Link Router

Handruin

Administrator
I checked my router last night and it said no new firmware available. I went to dlink's website and there were three newer versions. I took the latest, but even then it was late last year. Maybe they still haven't released a fix for it yet?

Thanks for pointing this out.

Handruin

Administrator
I read through the comments and it seems other people also cannot find it. It looks to be available on their foreign website of dlink.de if you read the last comment.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
It got the Feds attention. This was in my daily DHS Cyber Report email:
DHS Daily Cyber Report 20 January 2010 said:
BOFH-making bug plugged in D-link update: D-Link has plugged a security vulnerability involving protocol handling by some of its wireless routers that creates a potential means for normal users to grab super-user privileges. The network manufacturer issued a firmware update that addresses a recently discovered bug in how its networking devices handle the Home Network Administration Protocol (HNAP). The flaw meant that the devices offered a shadow connection outside of the regular administrative access channel. This permanent unauthorised connection might be exploited by miscreants to assume admin privileges and change router settings, and might also be used to bypass CAPTCHA login features introduced by D-Link in recent firmware upgrades. Successful exploitation requires valid login credentials, so the flaw is a privilege elevation risk rather than something more serious. [Date: 20 January 2010; Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/20/d_link_security_update/]