PALM

Stinker

What is this storage?
PALM has really fallen on hard times.

Who thinks it is a good investment, even if to just buy some Call options?

:skepo:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Chances are it will be picked up by some other company. But who can say. If you can afford to treat your investment like you are sitting at a roulette table you should be fine.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I think it is a risky investment. I just don't see a good buyout argument for any of the big players, except RIM. But I think RIM is doing their own thing.
Without a buyout, if they don't already have a new handset ready to go, I'm not sure just expanding carriers will increase their sales at all.

That linked RIM article is over three years old.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I could sort of see Google as a buyer, if only because they have piles of money, or Microsoft. A Microsoft Palm would be rather ironic, given the early history of mainstream handhelds.

In either case, the purchase would be about the name and not the tech. I'm having a hard time thinking of what Palm is doing better these days than the many other options that exist in the handheld/smartphone market.

Fushigi could probably think of something.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm having a hard time thinking of what Palm is doing better these days than the many other options that exist in the handheld/smartphone market.

I don't have a Pre, but from what I've heard the way it handles and integrates your contact lists from multiple services is supposed to be pretty nice.

Handruin

Administrator
Weird...a buddy of mine sent that link to me just the other day. I never thought to look at the date.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I could sort of see Google as a buyer, if only because they have piles of money, or Microsoft. A Microsoft Palm would be rather ironic, given the early history of mainstream handhelds.

In either case, the purchase would be about the name and not the tech. I'm having a hard time thinking of what Palm is doing better these days than the many other options that exist in the handheld/smartphone market.

Fushigi could probably think of something.

Lol, Apple has piles more money...and what of it? Google would be abandoning Andriod for WebOS, Merc?

some investment pundits are saying Palm stock will drop to $0 given poor results recently:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/03/18/palm.winter.quarter.moves.just.408k.phones/

But Will R, they *do* have a new product (update I suppose) waiting in the wings that AT&T will carry soon, what I still don't know for sure is if tethering would allow simultaneous data & voice communication vvv,

ie you surf the net tethered via a smartphone and can receive/make voice calls at the same time via the SP? not that I'd use it given the outrageous data plan rates, or would it be possible to get a hack that would allow send/receive via Wi-Fi with the Pixi Plus and connect a laptop that way, circumventing the high data rate plans? :

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/03/22/att.sticks.to.palm.despite.financial.woes/

AT&T commits to Palm Pre Plus, Pixi Plus, Dell Aero

updated 10:25 am EDT, Mon March 22, 2010

AT&T sticks to Palm despite financial woes

AT&T used the prelude to CTIA to reveal three of its promised smartphones, including crucial news for Palm. Both the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus are the first GSM webOS phones in the US and the only ones that can handle simultaneous voice and data. While they switch to HSPA for 3G, the two otherwise share the upgrades that were launched early this year: the Pre Plus has double the RAM and 16GB of internal storage, while the Pixi Plus adds Wi-Fi to the existing 8GB, entry-level phone.
The two phones only have a release due in "coming months," but AT&T is willing to commit to a $150 on-contract price for the Pre Plus and $50 for the Pixi Plus.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!

In either case, the purchase would be about the name and not the tech.
Possibly, but a number of names floated as possible suitors would be buying for the operating system, as well as a number of patents which Palm holds. Foreign hardware manufacturers such as Samsung and HTC have been mentioned. Even Nokia could gain with a Palm purchase.

In general, Palm is a good company in a bad place. Someone wants what they have bad enough to rescue their shareholders.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
"But the deals don't stop there. Verizon apparently has cut the $40 hotspot fee for using the Palm devices as wireless hotspots down to nothing. In other words, in addition to 2 smart phones $29.99 (and a 2 phone contract) will also score you a free 5 Gb/month hotspot, something which costs up to $60/month from competitors."

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=18045

My thinking is too little too late but that is quite a deal (for Verizon pricing).

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/04/08/palm-ceo-puts-his-cards-on-the-table/

Former Apple exec Jon Rubinstein remains committed to Palm’s success, even as takeover rumors swirl.

Remember this whole thing was a transformation story. It wasn't like we took something that was working and didn't run it well. We started off with a company that had no future, and we have been transforming it. We have arguably the best mobile operating system out there. It’s clearly the easiest to use and has the most intuitive user interface. We've got good products that get critical acclaim. It's in its early stages still, but we've got great quality of apps, and new apps coming all the time. By the time you get this published, we'll have commerce going in Europe, which is a big milestone for us. We've got good relationships with carriers. We've got all those things going for us, and what we need to do is get more commercial success and get to scale. And that's going to take longer than we'd hoped, obviously, but that doesn't mean we can't get there. We do have $590 million in the bank, and we have a plan that carries this company forward. Now, we need to be frugal and we need to invest in those areas that have the best return for us, but when I read that we're going out of business or our stock is worth zero or those kinds of things, it defies logic to me.....

Palm’s strategic thesis has been that even a small share of a large smart phone market would lead to a successful business. Is it possible that the thesis misses the point that it takes massive resources to succeed in this market?

I still believe that there's going to be likely five successful players in this space. It's a huge and rapidly growing market. And I think that having a small share of that market you can have a successful company. We just need to get up to scale, and that's our number one goal. It's not profitability, it's to get to scale. When we get to scale the economics of the business completely change. We went through that same thing at Apple, by the way. I mean, it was a similar situation many, many years ago where you just didn't have the economies of scale. And once we crossed over that Apple became a cash machine.

Stinker

What is this storage?
For someone who really wants to stay on verizon this is good news.

indeed. I am really thinking about upgrading to a Pre now. I have never needed the data plan before so the extra $25 per month (after discount) is making me think about it for a while first though...