Opening Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse

SteveC

Storage is cool
OK, this is a stupid question, but I'm not feeling well and I don't have much patience right now. I have a Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse that is double-clicking about 50% of the time instead of single clicking. I can hear what sounds like a spring bouncing when I click the left mouse button, and I want to open it up. Does anyone know if there's screws under the pads on the bottom, which I can't seem to get off?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
If they are like Logitech (been a while since I've owned a MS mouse), there's a single screw on the bottom of the mouse. In my experience though, when your buttons are doing free games, the mouse is capout. There's no way to fix a stuck button.

I've opened up every mice I've owned, but none would be usable afterward. I never used a screwdriver to open them up either.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think the term is "kaput", Coug.

This discussion is a good argument for trackballs. I've had reason to take mine apart a few times, but they work when I put 'em back together.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Has anyone used the Logitech MX 310? I need a mouse that I can use with either hand, and preferable one that will last.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
SteveC said:
Has anyone used the Logitech MX 310? I need a mouse that I can use with either hand, and preferable one that will last.
I use the MX-700, which is unfortunately not for ambidextrous people.

I've used Logitech mice exclusively since 1984 becuase they just don't break. That original 1984 mouse still works.

I also tend to like Logitech's ergonomics the best. Their drivers are hit or miss, but overall they are excellent devices.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
Whatever. In French, it's written "capout" and it's pronounced just the same.

I have yet to try the MX310, but like Timwhit, I'm a happy owner of MX300. I like it so much that I still haven't opened it.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
CougTek said:
Mercutio said:
Whatever. In French, it's written "capout" and it's pronounced just the same.

I have yet to try the MX310, but like Timwhit, I'm a happy owner of MX300. I like it so much that I still haven't opened it.

I don't actually use the MX300 personally, but I bought one for my mom and one for my girlfriend. Both, have been satisfied with their mice.

Personally I use a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse Blue. It wasn't too expensive either ($30 I think). Actually my dad bought it, but it interfered with his radio reception so he gave it to me. I like it ok, it just eats batteries too fast, it's still better than having to contend with a damn cord all the time.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
So I figure it is grammatically incorect? What should I say/wrote instead?

- The confused alien

The quote is grammatically correct. It's funny because it is so over-the-top.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
timwhit said:
Personally I use a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse Blue. ... I like it ok, it just eats batteries too fast, it's still better than having to contend with a damn cord all the time.
That's the beauty of the MX-700. It comes with NiMH batteries and the receiver is also a charging stand. I just charge it up every weekend. But it is a little more expensive at about $50 on sale.

Are there any wireless keyboards that are rechargeable like that?

SteveC

Storage is cool
I just went to the store and got the MX310. It seems much sturdier than the Microsoft mouse. It's a little heavier, which I like, but the base it a little narrower than I'm used to, which makes it seem smaller than it is (it's actually the same size as my old mouse). Hopefully, this one will last.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
At current I think NiMH batteries contain between 2 and 3 times as much total energy when compared to energizer/Duracell alkalyne batteries.

They work great in things like my wireless mouse/keyboard and wireless playstation controllers, but they are an absolute neccessity in things like digital cameras.

NiMH batteries have been on sale like crazy lately.. I've seen overnight chargers and 4 1800-2000mA rated batteries for about $20 at walmart and target. A great deal if you ask me considering I probably save $100 a year by using rechargable batteries and they last longer per charge than regular alkalyne batteries in mid-high drain devices.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I couldn't agree more about getting your rechargeables at Walmart. I can get four 2100mAh NiMH Energiers for $15Cdn. I also have (from home depot ~$25) a really nice Energier recharger unit that takes a whole bunch of different sizes (AA, AAA, D, C, ....) and can recharge 4 (depending on the type) at a time in 5 hours. It and the batteries have paid for themselves several times over.

A nice little rechargeable battery comparison, which gets updated from time to time, can be found here. Someone may have actually linked that in another thread like a year or so ago, as I seem to recall their being a battery discussion around christmas last year.

CK