CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
time won't leave me as I am
But time won't take the boy out of this man
Oh you look so beautiful tonight

ddrueding

Fixture
Some are less experienced at the PUI than others...this one nearly qualifies as irresponsable. I usually at least attempt to make some kind of broader statement or question...

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
CityK said:
time won't leave me as I am
But time won't take the boy out of this man

Yikes. Isn't this some crap from U2.

ddrueding

Fixture
Went to the second best steak house in SF last night for Prime Rib (House of Prime Rib), then went to the FIRST best steak house (Harris') for....desert :eekers:

Also made stops at the others: Ruth's Chris, Mortons, and Zed's ...

Then I turned around and drove back...225 mile round trip for dinner? That's pretty random...

ddrueding

Fixture
Tea said:
Nahhh.

Random is where you do a 225 mile trip for dinner and end up in a different state with your underwear on backwards and no wallet.

I once dove 615 miles for a first date and ended up driving back with no underwear at all...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Oddly enough, I'm installing Suse 9.2 on an Athlon 64.

The first thing it did when I told it to install was bring up a window with the title "Cool Computer but..." and "You are about to install 32-bit software on a 64-bit computer" as its contents.

Well, OK. It made me laugh.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
mubs said:
They wear diapers and carry handbags instead?

Neither of which are practical in the outback. I suspect they go commando and make their owners carry everything in the owner's new Subaru. Besides, who needs money or identification when you're 2000 kilometers from human civilization.

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
Tea said:
It wasn't me. It happens to Tannin regularly. Though in his case, unlike DaveD's, it isn't love, it's incipient Alzhimers.

The next time you talk to Tannin, tell him to change his avatar back to something more appropriate, like this:
  • [list:1810604ba8] [list:1810604ba8]
    ch_hawk_owl1_80.jpg
[/list:u:1810604ba8] [/list:u:1810604ba8]

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Nope, you'e thinking of the Dog Fence.

Dog_Fence.jpg

The Rabbit Fence (pictured in my earlier post above) divides the more-or-less fertile south-west corner of Western Australia from the arid interior. It's maybe 2000 or 3000 km long. (And yes, its function these days id to keep Dingos and Emus out, but it was built in a vain attempt to block off the rabbit.)

The Dog Fence, at 5400 km, is the longest man-made structure on earth. It runs from near Ceduna in South Australia to near Brisbane, and is still maintained. (So, for that matter, is the Rabbit Fence, though I'm not sure if anyone knows quite why anymore.)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It's very arid country, Buck (as you can see). The litter is only there because that picture was taken close to the Stuart Highway, which leads from South Australia to Darwin.

You can't travel along the fence, most of it runs through private property, but the general countryside is very beautiful. Arid inland Australia is rich in plant diversity and retains quite a bit of bird and mammal life too - not to memtion the reptiles.

This fellow, for example:

Gawler2.jpg

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Lots of insects for him to eat.

As for predators, there are bigger lizards - including the magnificent Perenti, one of the biggest lizards in the world, 3rd biggest, as I recall - many species of snake, and a whole stack of different raptors.

Remind me to dig some pictures out but not right now because I'm late for work and have to travel all over the place these next few days.

Where's Tea?

Tea! Get out of the bloody shower! We are late!

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin said:
The Dog Fence, at 5400 km, is the longest man-made structure on earth. It runs from near Ceduna in South Australia to near Brisbane, and is still maintained. (So, for that matter, is the Rabbit Fence, though I'm not sure if anyone knows quite why anymore.)

To keep the dingoes out!