OCZ Z Drive - 1TB SSD

Handruin

Administrator
This interesting little fellow claims to offer a MLC SSD container of drives that connect to your PCIe slot that offers a capacity of 1TB.

maximum read rates of up to 600MB/sec and maximum write speeds of up to 500MB/sec. Oh, and the sustained write speeds are right around 400MB/sec. Essentially, this device will contain four 256GB MLC-based OCZ SSDs along with 256MB of ECC DDR2 RAM; when slapped in one's desktop, they can choose to set it up as the boot disk or a slave.

I wonder what this drive would be like if Intel built it (besides insanely expensive)?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
This interesting little fellow claims to offer a MLC SSD container of drives that connect to your PCIe slot that offers a capacity of 1TB.

I wonder what this drive would be like if Intel built it (besides insanely expensive)?

I would rather have the 2.5in SSD in the Asus Lambo, avail for private sector...I don't use a 'desktop', as is the case with the majority of users now :D

What's with you guys and your fascination with Intel, like they are the paragon of the industry as far as tech quality? Will these exhibit the performance problems noted with the Intel 2.5in SSDs?

I'd rather have Samsung SSD's (whenever they flood the market with cheaper, high performance models).

Handruin

Administrator
What's with you guys and your fascination with Intel, like they are the paragon of the industry as far as tech quality? Will these exhibit the performance problems noted with the Intel 2.5in SSDs?

Maybe because the Intel SSD's are super-fast. Who else has something that fast for a 2.5" SLC SSD currently available? Think about how you feel towards Apple...this isn't anywhere as close.

Which performance problems are you talking about?

ddrueding

Fixture
I read a link somewhere that under special circumstances the performance of Intel SSDs decreased, but could be restored by doing something else. I think it was a benchmarking anomaly.

I would be very interested in a high-performance 1TB SSD. That is getting to the point where my VM servers could run them (disk IO is always an issue running a bunch of VMs off a single disk).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
WTF? That Frankendrive takes over the whole computer. Little it ain't.

ddrueding

Fixture
Looks like a PCI-E 1x? It also looks like it gets closer to the motherboard past the slot? I hope they didn't put a fan in a silent storage solution...