Notice on server downtime 9.10.16 - Server migrated for increased RAM

Handruin

Administrator
I took the server down for about 10 minutes to perform a migration within the hosting providers infrastructure. This was required to get the free upgrade of RAM which bumped us from 2GB to 4GB. This change should help keep the site more stable as we've constantly been running very close to the edge of the RAM limits and on occasion MySQL has crashed under peek loads when RAM was tight.

I chose to run the upgrade now because there was minimal activity and also it was during the day in case something went wrong. :) Let me know if you notice a problem with this.

Handruin

Administrator
I also intended to update our server distribution to the latest stable release but was unable to get this done. I will need to deploy a new host image and transfer us over to the new system at a later date. This is the recommended best practice from the hosting provider.

Handruin

Administrator
The new server instance I'm working on will be running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS fully updated (also with the increased RAM). I'm currently working on changing out Apache for nginx and to move everything up to php7. I've also installed Mysql 5.7 and working to validate it. I'm also enabling TLS (encryption using Let's Encrypt) to secure all communication from here on out. Some of these are a bit overdue along with other items I need to work on. I'll likely post a demo site under a different domain with a copy of the forum to get some feedback. I want to make sure that it works ok before deploying it.