Notebook RAM

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I was asked to upgrade the RAM in a fairly recent notebook. According to the Sandra, it has one Honda Electronics 512MB DDR2(PC3200-2) 3.0-3-3-8 module. can

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Don't it suck that you can't edit your posts here?

Handruin

Administrator
Well, at least you can put faith that the information in a post will rarely ever change, even if it's cutoff. :)

FWIW, i had no idea honda made RAM?!?

LunarMist

:( If I added DDR2 PC4200 RAM, would that work OK with the DDR2 PC3200? Of course the BIOS is locked to 400MHz, but does a CAS4 PC4200 become CAS3 at 3200 or do they not play nice together? They don't need expensive memory, just something basic and reliable, but not at the ripoff notebook OEM cost.

LunarMist

:( If I added DDR2 PC4200 RAM, would that work OK with the DDR2 PC3200? Of course the BIOS is locked to 400MHz, but does a CAS4 PC4200 become CAS3 at 3200 or do they not play nice together? They don't need expensive memory, just something basic and reliable, but not at the ripoff notebook OEM cost.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I think it depends if the manufacturer put a SPD table in the memory for the lower speed with a lower CAS latency for that speed. Otherwise I believe it will use the higher speeds SPD table. If the system BIOS is doing it's job correctly it will compare the two relevent tables and select the one with the higher latencies to be on the safe side so you just lost a very small fraction of performance (not a big deal).

I would stick it in and hit it with memtest to see what's up. You can read the SPD table with CPU-Z or many other programs.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
LunarMist said:
If I added DDR2 PC4200 RAM, would that work OK with the DDR2 PC3200?
Are you sure your notebook is using DDR2? It's probably DDR (1). IIRC the physical slot is different for DDR(1) and DDR2. Instead of relying on Sandra, I suggest you look in the user manual; most certainly the spec page will tell you the kind of RAM it uses, and most manuals have a section that discusses RAM upgrades.

Regarding your other question, ususally, all RAM in a system works at the lowest common denominator, with the higher speed ones throttling down appropriately. But it would be best to add the same speed RAM.

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
LunarMist said:
I was asked to upgrade the RAM in a fairly recent notebook. According to the Sandra, it has one Honda Electronics 512MB DDR2(PC3200-2) 3.0-3-3-8 module. can

That would be HYUNDAI.

Do you have one memry slot or two? It's quite possible that you only have one memory slot along with soldered-in memory on the mobo.

In any case, I would check out Crucial's site for what you have and can use (maximum memory). I've ordered notebook computer memory from Crucial on a few occasions and have never had any problems with their product.

303_144pinsodimm.gif
http://www.crucial.com/store/listmfgr.asp?cat=RAM

LunarMist

OK, well a Honda and Hyundai are both small cars. :)

I removed the module and it is labeled Hynix HYMP564S64P6-E3. Of course there are two RAM slots. ;)

Platform

• Hynix = Hyundai
    [list:846c71a29d] Hyundai Honda
    therefore
    [list:846c71a29d] Hynix Honda
[/list:u:846c71a29d] [/list:u:846c71a29d]

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually, Hynix = Hyundai Electronics + LG Semiconductor :)

Or more accurately:

Old Hyundai + Old LGE = New Hyundai + New LGE + Hynix

Hynix was spun off as a completely separate company.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Hynix said:
This Hynix unbuffered Slim Outline Dual In-Line Memory Module(DIMM) series consists of 512Mb 1st ver. DDR2 SDRAMs in Fine Ball Grid Array(FBGA) packages on a 200pin glass-epoxy substrate. This Hynix 512Mb 1st ver. based Unbuffered DDR2 SO-DIMM series provide a high performance 8 byte interface in 67.60mm width form factor of industry standard. It is suitable for easy interchange and addition.

I'd interpret this as saying it's a bog standard DDR2-400 SO-DIMM (which is good). Therefore, if you have a second slot available, the Kingston module you linked to should be just fine.

iGary

time said:
Old Hyundai + Old LGE = New Hyundai + New LGE + Hynix

Hynix was spun off as a completely separate company.

Ya, I recall something happening on that front a while back, but I never cared enough to pay attention.

I recall playing around with a Hyundai Sun workstation clone several years ago -- an AXIL workstation. Actually, it was a pretty good SPARC box -- better than the Tatung equivalent of the time. I believe Axil ended up being spun off, then later bought by someone.

I guess nowadays Hyundai is back to making what it did before its great expansion (or its great emulation of Japanese corporate conglomerates) in the late '80s and early '90s, namely automobiles, construction equipment, and ships.