No SoundStorm in NForce 4

BooST

Learning Storage Performance
Handruin said:
PCStats has a review of the new NForce 4 Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9. Looks like a decent board so far.

Looks pretty solid... I'm still waiting for someone to say when these boards will be available, and what version of the silicon they will be releasing them with.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I was pretty shocked to see 8 SATA connectors on that Gigabyte board. That's a lot of drives.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Considering that a standard enthusiast board used to come with two regular IDE channels and two IDE RAID channels, for a total capacity of eight devices... that seems about right.

Handruin

Administrator
This gigabyte comes with 8 SATA in addition to 2 PATA for a grand-total of 12 connections. I felt the same as Gilbo, I was surprised to see that many SATA connections. Even if it works out to about the same as existing systems, it isn't typical. Four of the SATA connections are SATA II, but that's really not a selling point for me, just a nice bonus.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
You should really be surprised that there are still two parallel ATA connectors. They take up considerable space and, if it weren't for opticals, would be out of style.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
MSI also has a DVD/CD burner combo drive that embraces that new fangled technology they call cereal-eighty-eh. LiteOn was (so says the rumour mill) supposed to have released something in July, but for whatever reason never followed through.

SATA...what a joke....now back to my regular job....Bridge chip! Get your bridge chip here!.....

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Most harddrives are still on bridge chips, so that's not unexpected. But where are the rest of the models?