NEWZ: Western Digi Releases 400 GB "Reliable" HD

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
  • LAKE FOREST, Calif. - July 26, 2005 - Western Digital Corp. (NYSE: WDC) today introduced the most reliable high capacity Serial ATA (SATA) hard drives for server and network-attached storage applications.

Meeting the 24x7 demands of enterprise environments, WD Caviar RE2 hard drives employ RAFF™ (Rotary Accelerometer Feed Forward) technology...

Full press release at:

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/company/releases/PressRelease.asp?release={86E1A894-79C5-434D-8A82-97BDDABFCE63}

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Sure you can, bronze it first. Then supply the bronze to WDC. The proof is that many people and corporations do it every day. Ask president Bush's administration about WMD or prisoner abuse and you will find one super big golden polished turd: they have created an art form of not merely bronzing but supremely coating the turd in gold first.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Re: NEWZ: Western Digi Releases 400 GB "Reliable"

In order to maintain its reliability, the drive is rated for no power-on hours per day.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Also, removal from the 20m thick concrete and lead "Western Digital/Donald Rumsfeld Containment Bunker" constitutes a violation of the warranty agreement.

yeti

What is this storage?
This announcement is interesting, I think, in another respect: is this new drive a three platter drive (just like the previous one at 320GB, which probably had three platters of 107GB), which would mean that WD has achieved the 133GB/platter density, or is it rather a more mundane four platters (which has its own set of issues with vibrations), and "only" 100GB/platter?

I would bet on four platters, if the WD specs are true to form as they announce a 65MB/s maximum transfer rate.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Yawn. It must be 3x 133 GB plattres, like Seagate drives 8 months ago.

Though not exactly the same thing, I've polished some copralite with high iron oxiedd content. ;)

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
If this is a reliable drive, are their other drives unreliable or less reliable?

:twistd: