[NEWZ] Wait A While, Save a Lot Of Money (fLASH)

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I've been itching to buy a 1GB SD card for my phone. Sandisk read/write performance stinks so I've been eyeing the new Lexar 32X. I guess I'll have to make do with the 256MB card I already have for a while longer. The Lexar is still over $300; maybe it'll be under $200 by this fall.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm also waiting for 1GB disks to become more affordable. That way, a typical Linux (major distro) or Windows installation will fit on a single media. And my mp3 collection is also wider than 700MB, more like 900MB, so I could transfer it much more easily.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Thanks to this, memory prices will climb even higher. Memory makers are just greedy.

Cheers,

Jan

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Fushigi,

At 60x the Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme are the fastest production flash cards around. I am ditching the old Lexar 40x cards as they are just too slow for the newer bodies, such as the 1D MK II. (The newer Lexar 40x cards are reputedly faster, but still slower than the Ultra II/Extreme.) Let us hope that the price of the 2GB 80x Lexar CF card is not excessive; I could use 3-5 of them. The 8GB card is close to $4,000!

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
LunarMist said:
At 60x the Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme are the fastest production flash cards around.
I don't see a 1GB SD/MMC card in their Extreme and UltraII lineups. Is one coming soon? The Lexar one is available now.

I doubt my phone will fully utilize the speed of a 60x card and it's my only SD-equipped device at the moment. My digicam is CF-based.

I mostly need the add'l space and speed because, with the latest firmware, I can record 640x480 A/V through the phone's camera/speakerphone mic and save it to SD. And to store MP3s. And, shortly, to use as a flash drive. I love convergence. :p

OT: Why do the Flash card makers web sites all suck so much?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Fushigi said:
I don't see a 1GB SD/MMC card in their Extreme and UltraII lineups. Is one coming soon? The Lexar one is available now.

OK, I guess not. In that case the Transcend 45x is that fastest 1GB SD card I could find with a quick search. There may be some faster ones.