NEWZ: New Graphics Card Connector Std.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance

There's yet another digital graphics card connector standard that's been in the works for a little while called Unified Display Interface. This one is a unified design that will replace the common DVI connectors as well as the HDMI connector and support all existing functions currently found in both interfaces.

I like the HDMI connector for dual-head video cards because it's smaller than the DVI connector -- which is fine for single head (single-link, dual-link, etc) graphics cards. But, I believe I've only seen one graphics card (an nVidia) that had a HDMI connector.

The upcoming UDI connector will be a bit smaller yet than HDMI.

http://www.udisig.org/home

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yes, but only certified OEMs can have cards that properly support those DRM features. HDMI is essentially just DVI + Digital Sound otherwise.

HDMI compatibility is BAD regardless. Completely borked. I have a small number of HDMI equipped devices (TV, a projector, an HD-DVD player) and none of them will talk to each other.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Does this have any impact on somebody building a new desktop PC in the next 6 months? If I'm building new, should I just be sticking with DVI?

GIANT

Does this have any impact on somebody building a new desktop PC in the next 6 months? If I'm building new, should I just be sticking with DVI?

Probably not in 6 months, only because it will take more than 6 months for video cards, monitors, video recorders, et cetera to start showing up with these connectors.

One place that it will probably show up first, and probably in strength, will be in cheaper all-in-one computers with integrated video and soiund on the mobo and in a wide range of "mobile" computers. You can have all of your external video and sound connectivity using a single world-standard connector.

It's actually a nice small connector, which, I believe, pokes into the female connector on the device (cable always male, device always female) and is held in the connector with little sprung detents, so there are no screws or clamps to deal with. From the picture I've seen of it in an engineering periodical I get monthly, it looked a hell of a lot like an eSATA connector -- flat and thin.

apple.gif
intel.gif
lg.gif
national_semi.gif
samsung.gif
...and others

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes, but only certified OEMs can have cards that properly support those DRM features. HDMI is essentially just DVI + Digital Sound otherwise.

HDMI compatibility is BAD regardless. Completely borked. I have a small number of HDMI equipped devices (TV, a projector, an HD-DVD player) and none of them will talk to each other.

HDMI (especially ver 1.3) has higher max datarates and additional features that would make it preferable to DVI.

From what I understand UDI is an attempt to cut the cost of the connector, as the CE/PC companies are paying a premium for HDMI connector tech (disregarding the HDCP licensing fee).

Often the order in which you power-on HDMI devices will make a big difference on whether they work or not.

Did you get the Toshiba HD-DVD player Merc?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I got one of the cheap ones. HDA-X1 or something like that. It was like $430. I bought it just so I could watch Serenity in all its glory.
I've been through all the HDMI troubleshooting I can do. I'm under the impression that my TV (61" Samsung) just didn't get finalized HDCP support. My projector is a #$%#ing brand-new Mitsubishi HD4000 though, and it doesn't like HDMI either.

iGary

udi_500.jpg

UDI connector is the one at the upper right.

One sad note: The UDI connector does NOT handle audio.

Stereodude

Not really a
I got one of the cheap ones. HDA-X1 or something like that. It was like $430. I bought it just so I could watch Serenity in all its glory.
I've been through all the HDMI troubleshooting I can do. I'm under the impression that my TV (61" Samsung) just didn't get finalized HDCP support. My projector is a #$%#ing brand-new Mitsubishi HD4000 though, and it doesn't like HDMI either.
I'm not sure why you're having all those problem. I have a 2 year old TV that supports HDCP fine.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
UDI is being pushed by Dell and Genesis because they don't want to pay to use HDMI/HDCP.

Dell and Genesis are backers of the DisplayPort consurtium I believe. Totally incompatible with HDMI or HDCP, uses a Philips designed protection scheme. All for the sake of saving the 4c charge for an HDMI port.