[NEWZ] Monsterous Maxtorous SCSI Whirly Klickity Warmth

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
98MB/second sustained transfer and 3.0 ms sec. seek for the 15K. I like it. :D

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
Splash said:
...with up models to...

I was definitely trying to say with models up to...

That's what happens when you get up at 4AM to scour the websites of the Big 4 (and other players) for NEWZ.

Now if I could eliminate my newfound problem of dropping out certai letters in the middle of the keyboard as I type, then I'd be happy as a pig in the mud.

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
CougTek said:
Quite similar to the drives announced by Fujitsu two months ago. HGST also announced a 300GB 10K rpm Ultrastar on the 25th of February.

Yes, a bunch of "Me Too" drives.

I'm still taking that long shot on Seagate's quietness being attributed to the possibility that they may announce "the demise of the 3-1/2 inch hard drive" (my quote there, not their's) and go with only 2-1/2 inch hard drives for all the new models, with the "old" (existing) hard drives staying around for a few years.

Under this fairy tale scenario, Seagate could sell a pseudo 3-1/2 inch drive by incorporating a 2-1/2 inch drive mechanism installed into a small inexpensive frame / adaptor that will allow the 2-1/2 inch hard drive to slip into any conventional 3-1/2 inch drive bay and bolt down normally.

But, then again, you have to wonder just what's going on when you read stuff like this:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cmp/20040422/tc_cmp/18902624

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/zd/20040430/tc_zd/125734

Not to mention stuff like this:
  • The tech sector, in particular, was pressured by an earnings warning from storage technology company Seagate Technology. Its shares gave up $1.51 to $14.08 US after it said Tuesday that it expects earnings of six to eight cents a share instead of the 20 to 30 cents a share previously forecast.

Seagate Technology, the world's No. 1 hard-drive maker, plans to announce next week a similar offering aimed at capitalizing on the growth of DVRs, now quickly gaining steam as the cable industry embarks on introducing DVR-equipped boxes to its massive customer base.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Lots of companies are dividing Chairman from CEO. I don't consider that to be big news.