Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
the INQUIRER
IBM officially kills OS/2, suggests switch to Linux
By Jock McFrock the bekilted Engineer: Thursday 14 July 2005, 18:13
INQ said:
BIG BLUE has hammered the final nails into OS/2's coffin. It said that all sales of OS/2 will end on the 23rd of December this year, and support for the pre-emptive multitasking operating system will end on the 31st December 2006.

© 2005 Breakthrough Publishing Ltd.

:blue:
Sorry Tony, it was going to happen sooner or later.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
<eulogy>

I can't imagine that finding drivers for modern hardware has been any fun lately.

It was a good OS though. It deserved better than it got. I imagine that if it'd had any worthwhile Win32 support, it'd still be a player. That, and marketing. The OS/2 Fiesta Bowl (American football, for interested Aussies) just didn't make a dent in consumer consciousness.

Still, it had support for SMP and Internet applications in a box that cost $99, at a time when $250 NT Workstation didn't even have support for TCP/IP... and plain old Windows didn't even support NETWORKING. There's some forward thinking there.

Of course, who can forget getting halfway though a CD-based OS/2 2.1 install, only to be told your CD-ROM drive isn't compatible with OS/2? Good times, good times.

Tannin is the last holdout I know. He'll probably be buried with his install discs, just like the guys clutching their Amigas. I don't think the sad thing is OS/2 disappearing, though. I think it's that we're all going to look at those few die-hards as crackpots, if we don't already. THAT is the sad thing. Tannin isn't a crackpot, though (Tea, though? Or Ekaf? And just where the hell is CNN Sport these days?). He's made a sensible choice based on sound reasoning, and he should be given credit for sticking with it. For the rest of us, we should only be glad that at one time, that choice existed.

</eulogy>

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
If Microsoft hadn't hijacked OS/2 into Windows NT, I think that'd done a lot better....