NEWZ: Fujitsu 120 GB 2.5-inch Notebook HD

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
This is great news. Let's push away from 3.5" drives and make 2.5" mainstream for the desktop environment. Not only do the 2.5" drives use less power, they also generate less heat and noise, not to mention they use less enclosure real estate. Plus, they’re normally manufactured as portable devices, which makes them more robust.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
Buck said:
Let's push away from 3.5" drives and make 2.5" mainstream for the desktop environment...

There has been a silent push to this very thing for a few years. Hard drive storage -- using 3.5-inch hard drives -- is probably the biggest sore point in evolving Small Form Factor desktops.

My thoughts on this have been that implementing RAID-1 with a pair of 60 GB, 80 GB, or (now) 120 GB 2.5-inch hard drives and incorporating advanced read-ahead performance features -- so that the user actually benefits from the RAID-1 with more than its resilient features -- would be the best way to approach using the 2.5-inch hard drive in a desktop.

Unfortunately, the MTBF rating is not quite there yet for the 2.5-inchers when comparing them to current 3.5-inch hard drives.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Awesome - just what I really need! :D What do you all think about realistic availability? Will other HD manufacturers have 120GB notebook drives available for mortals by the end of Q2?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
LunarMist said:
Awesome - just what I really need! :D What do you all think about realistic availability? Will other HD manufacturers have 120GB notebook drives available for mortals by the end of Q2?

Maybe Seagate. There are several players in the 2.5" market now, and hopefully the competition will help spurn the advancement in technology and help all manufacturers to be relatively close with capacity points. I am interested in seeing how this market is in Q4.

LunarMist

I can't wait for Q4 2005, only July 31. The 100GB drives are too small for comfort since they hold less than 6000 frames in a PSD or around 5000 frames in a notebook with a few applications installed. In a PSD the 5400.2s have good battery life but poor performance for some reason.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Maybe you should get a laptop that can support two HDDs. For my Thinkpad T23, I can buy a "ThinkPad Second HDD Adapter for Ultrabay 2000" for $45. This is the bay that takes either a floppy or optical drive without an adapter.

LunarMist

Thanks, but that does not solve the PSD issue. If the notebook fails, both drives would be inaccessible.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
1. If the notebook fails, install the drives in another or in a desktop. Now, if you're talking the notebook HD fails, well, that's what backups are for.

2. No mention of spindle speed in the Computerworld article. I'm too lazy to look it up so I'm assuming 5400 RPM.

Explorer

Buck said:
Maybe Seagate...
Since Seagate is the current areal storage density darling, it will probably be them, and I believe it's their turn to announce something new for the 2.5-inch arena since Hitachi did it last.

Maxtor and Toshiba could be thought of as the dark horses in the 120 GB race to announce next.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
LunarMist said:
Thanks, but that does not solve the PSD issue. If the notebook fails, both drives would be inaccessible.
Perhaps an external FW and/or USB2 drive, then? I seem to be peculiarly keen on annoying you with ideas you've already thought of.

Fushigi said:
No mention of spindle speed in the Computerworld article. I'm too lazy to look it up so I'm assuming 5400 RPM.
Yup. Only Hitachi makes faster drives. I wish the other guys would too. Prices would come down then.

Explorer said:
Maxtor and Toshiba could be thought of as the dark horses in the 120 GB race to announce next.
Maxtor in a notebook? Gee, no thanks.

LunarMist

Fushigi said:
1. If the notebook fails, install the drives in another or in a desktop. Now, if you're talking the notebook HD fails, well, that's what backups are for.

I though about that, but hauling around two notebooks is not feasible.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Get a notebook with a DVD burner, dual-layer if you can afford the media. Then carry a handful of blank disks. Not much added bulk that way. Or, as mubs says, an external drive. An 80+GB notebook drive in a USB2 enclosure shouldn't require a separate power adapter. Coupled with a short USB2 cable, bulk should be easy enough to manage. Speed shouldn't be much of a concern.

I assume your images don't compress well. If they did I'd say store them in a OS-compressed folder or a zip/rar file as well to maximize your storage.

LunarMist

I spent a fair amount of time on risk analysis when first switching to digital. The flow chart and risk matrix are misplaced somewhere. I should probably start a separate thread.

Anyway, I have two each of 60, 80, and 100GB 2.5" drives. One of the 100GB drives is in the notebook. It would be nice to replace the smaller drives with fewer 120GB drives for simplification.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Good news. Actually, my notebook is the only system I own where space is even an issue. In a desktop system, yuo just add extra drives as needed. In a notebook, it's difficult. Befre too long I'm going to be reduced to carrying an external drive.

BTW: which is better for this, USB2 or Firewire? The laptop has both. Also, both USB slots are used (external mouse and keyboard), so I'm hoping that the best answer is Firewire.

LunarMist

Firewire is best for hard drives - less CPU utilization and higher transfer rates even with ye olde FW400. Of course many Windows notebooks do not supply power, so USB 2 is more practical for travel.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
For notebooks this is good news, but I want more. Specificly, I want 2.5" drives to perform at the same or faster level as 3.5's so that they can be considered potential replacements for desktop systems. The current crop of 2.5's just are not satisfying the needs of the desktop market and that would be my goal.

I understand that a 2.5" drive will never produce an STR faster than a 3.5 at the same RPM speed and that total storage will never be as high because of the amount of surface area. However, why can't 2.5's have faster seeks and why can't 2.5's actually have faster RPM's. Smaller sized means that heads don't need to travel as far and the forces involved in high RPM's are signifigently diminished. Most consumers don't need the total capacity that 3.5" already supply so the shrink to 2.5" will not harm them and those that do can still use the 3.5's. My point is that the same type of benefits that resulted from the move between 5 1/2" to 3.5" can be gained through the move to 2.5" or even smaller.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Firewire it is then. I'll get one of those dual-mode enclosures so that I can plug the same drive into normal systems if I need to.

Can you get enclosures that run off built-in batteries? Or will I need to carry a mains power adaptor unit, and rely on my 12V car inverter?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tannin said:
Firewire it is then. I'll get one of those dual-mode enclosures so that I can plug the same drive into normal systems if I need to.

Can you get enclosures that run off built-in batteries? Or will I need to carry a mains power adaptor unit, and rely on my 12V car inverter?

Haul a small generator around that is run by a bicycle and have Tea do a little exercise.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It would need to be a very small bicycle.

(She has trouble reaching the pedals.)

(Though holding onto the handlebars with her feet and pedalling with her hands might be a possibility.)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck said:
Tannin said:

Haul a small generator around that is run by a bicycle and have Tea do a little exercise.

Honda makes a very nice portable genny that is good for electrical devices.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=eu1000i

LunarMist

The difference in performenace for notebook drives is not hat gerat. I perfer a self-poweered USB 2/FW 2.5" enclosure, using the USB 2for travel (notebooko) and firWire on eth desktop system. If you ned a bettery powedered enclosuer, then it makes much more sense to use a PSD. At lleast one PSD is needed to mitigate risk anyway, assuming thsi is a digital photo project.

LunarMist

Sorry Tony, a PSD is a Portable Storage Device. Vosonic, Delkin, SmartDisk, Archos, etc. are popular brands.

Platform

Dïscfärm said:
Buck said:
Let's push away from 3.5" drives and make 2.5" mainstream for the desktop environment...
There has been a silent push to this very thing for a few years. Hard drive storage -- using 3.5-inch hard drives -- is probably the biggest sore point in evolving Small Form Factor desktops.

My thoughts on this have been that implementing RAID-1 with a pair of 60 GB, 80 GB, or (now) 120 GB 2.5-inch hard drives and incorporating advanced read-ahead performance features -- so that the user actually benefits from the RAID-1 with more than its resilient features -- would be the best way to approach using the 2.5-inch hard drive in a desktop.

Unfortunately, the MTBF rating is not quite there yet for the 2.5-inchers when comparing them to current 3.5-inch hard drives.

I might conclude that for a *non-mainstream* Small Form Factor desktop, one would have to consider going with a 2.5-inch "enterprise" SAS hard drive -- preferably using a mobo with an embedded SAS controller or SAS RAID. A Small Form Factor desktop with a 2, 3, or 4-slot SCA drive bay for 2.5-inch SAS / SATA2 drives would be a killer.