NEWZ: 8 Critical MS Patches Coming on 11/Oct

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
A swarm of patches will be upon us on Patch Tuesday (11/October), and there is a potential that they could even be followed by a w0rm, as one of these holes to be patched is supposedly worm-able.

• [*] 8 Microsoft Security Bulletins affecting Microsoft Windows. The highest Maximum Severity rating for these is Critical. Some of these updates will require a restart. These updates will be detectable using the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) and the Enterprise Scanning Tool (EST).

[*] 1 Microsoft Security Bulletin affecting Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Exchange. The highest Maximum Severity rating for this is Important. These updates will require a restart. These updates will be detectable using the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA).

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/advance.mspx

Worms, Worms, Bad for your Heart, The more you eat, The more you...

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
If the vulnerability is known, why does the worm have to wait till the patch comes out? Why isn't it released ahead of time?

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't think the vulnerability is known, MS just knows that it is wormable. Once the patch is out, however, it won't take long to figure out what the vulnerability is.

Therefore it is a race; can you get the patch out to all of your machines before someone is able to write and deploy code that exploits it. If you are a home use user, this isn't a big deal. I have ~2000 machines I'm responsible for at about 25 different locations. Patch Tuesday is a busy time for me.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
mubs, Microsoft is contractually obligated to deliver patches to its Plutonium-level Business Partners before it can give them to the little people.