[NEWS] - Sony Blue Laser Drive

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
In 50 years, will you have something that you can use to read the disks?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Probably not 50 years. Maybe not 10. My last VCR broke a few days ago (sorry Fushigi) and I'm having a hard time justifying buying another.

BooST

Learning Storage Performance
Mercutio said:
Probably not 50 years. Maybe not 10. My last VCR broke a few days ago (sorry Fushigi) and I'm having a hard time justifying buying another.

Excellent... Down with floppy drives and VCRs!!!

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Don't feel bad, Merc. I had one go down a month or two ago, leaving me with just 1. Can't decide wether or not to repair it (the JVC factory repair center is in Aurora).

My wife and I are probably going to ditch cable TV in favor of satellite and I'll likely spring for a Tivo-equipped decoder. If so, the need for a VCR will be even less (except to transfer existing media to DVD or DivX).

Any recommendations on Tivo-based satellite decoders? HD capable would be nice for future-proofing, but we don't have an HDTV so far (maybe later this year).

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
According to cdrinfo, the PS3 will also use a 23GB blue-ray drive, should be ready for 2005. And it's going to be a lot less than $3K.

Mercutio

<sarcasm>That'll be just dandy for all the Blu-ray movies that'll be out by then.</sarcasm>

Supposedly, Sony's been on a tear through their product lines, looking for ways to reduce the number of parts it needs to buy to build its consumer products to about 1/5 its 2001 level. Perhaps the reason they're going Blu-Ray is because they'll be in a position to only manufacture Blu-Ray drives at that point.

I'm all for next-generation media that addresses the current inadequacies of the stuff we have now, but what's going to happen to all those PS/2 owners if/when HDDVD becomes a consumer electronics staple instead of Blu Ray?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Well I guess they will all be watching Paramount movies on Blu-ray :)

In any case the PS3 will have a read-only drive, personally I want something that can record HD to disc.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Delayed again. Posted on the Sony site today

..."The official Sony website posted a notice over the weekend that the "targeted availability" of the player will be "on or about December 4, 2006.""...

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Well the Samsung is available now for playback, tho it would seem money better spent getting the Sony internal Blu-Ray burner for around the $750 mark.

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
LiamC said:
Delayed again. Posted on the Sony site today

..."The official Sony website posted a notice over the weekend that the "targeted availability" of the player will be "on or about December 4, 2006.""...

If Blu-Ray is delayed again, what was it that I've been seeing the past month or two at Fry's Electronics, ChimpUSA, MicroCenter, and WurstBuy? No really! Are we talking about Blu-ray players or Blu-Ray R/W drives?

I'll admit that I did not pay close attention to precisely what these devices were when I began noticing various retail boxes stacked up proclaiming "Blu-Ray!" I though they were R/W drives. Besides, I usually go to these retail superstore joints to evaluate mouses, keyboards, or -- as I did recently -- buy a 3-pack of inexpensive 1 GB USB thumb drives.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
The delay has been in regards to the standalone Blu-Ray player. The internal burner has been out for a couple of months now.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Well the Samsung is available now for playback, tho it would seem money better spent getting the Sony internal Blu-Ray burner for around the $750 mark.

The internal Blu-Ray burner is busted. It can't read Blu-Ray movies. You can only use it for data work. Phlahh.

Mercutio

I'm sure it "can" read movies. Ones that aren't encrypted.
Which, at this point, would be BR-DVD pr0n.

And you'd need a player application. PowerDVD probably won't cut it.