[News] Seagate Readies 750GB Hard Drives

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Seagate Technology, the world’s largest manufacturer of hard disk drives (HDD), is about to commercially release its hard drive with unprecedented capacity of 750GB. The new drive not only utilizes perpendicular recording technologies, but also makes use of some recently developed capabilities aimed to boost reliability of HDDs.

Seagate’s Barracuda 7200.10 hard disk drive series will be available in 750GB, 500GB, 400GB, 320GB, 300GB, 250GB and 200GB capacities and with 8MB or 16MB caches depending on the model and will be compatible with computers featuring Parallel ATA-100 or Serial ATA-150/300 with native command queuing (NCQ) technology support connections. The new products will use 7200rpm motors, however, currently Seagate does not declare any performance data concerning the new HDDs.

Source: Xbit Labs

Submitted to S.F. by: Groltz

:bstd:

ddrueding

Fixture
300GB and 320GB? What the hell? The difference in price couldn't be more than a few bucks at the retail level (those are likely $80-$90 drives). It can't possibly justify the added complexity of the supply chain.

Perhaps one is a 8MB and the other a 16MB cache?

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is

ddrueding

Fixture
LOST6200 said:
• Directed Offline Scan runs diagnostics when storage access is not required.

Dos that mean we get free Martians with everydrive?

So long as it can be turned off in firmware, that's fine with me. I wouldn't mind such a feature in my server room, but my desktop must remain silent! (one more reason for local storage to be solid state).

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
LM: Enough with the grinning, already!

Eric must be unwell; didn't anybody notice? A complete sentence and not one word jumbled up (an 'e' and a space missing, though).

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Yeah. Now I awoke in a lot of pain and cant; lie down agaoin. Tommorow will be hell.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Now the 750GB SATA drives are $435 and the PATA drives are $490. I wonder how much further prices will drop by September.

LunarMist

That would probably be after there are 1TB drives. It won't be too long really. I would like to see some 600GB drives as well.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
While doing a quick lookup of prices in Aus, I noticed that Samsung has a 300 GB drive listed. When did these pop up? I thought that Samsung topped out at 250GB.

LunarMist

They have been in the US for a while now even in retail stores.