[News] Seagate announces 15K.5 + perpendicular recording

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
The Cheetah 15K.5 leveraged Seagate's R&D leadership to create the world's first enterprise hard drive with perpendicular recording. Perpendicular recording technology lets the Cheetah 15K.5 deliver twice the capacity of 15K drives currently available while providing a performance increase over previous generations by as large as 30%.

LINK

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm afraid to look at the price for the 300GB model. It's probably your right arm and your left testicle.

Bozo :mrgrn:

ddrueding

Fixture
Yay! A new hard drive that is actually faster in a significant way!

Now, where's the SATA version? Seagate doesn't make SCSI controlers or cables, so just put on a cheaper interface and charge the same amount.

Sol

Storage is cool
resulting in 30 percent more I/O's-per-second and more than 20 percent faster response times than typical 3.5-inch 10K RPM drives.

Gotta love how the start of the article makes it sound like it was 30% faster than the 15K.4... It's probably a little bit faster but a 300GB Cheetah is still a great improvment even if it's not any faster at all...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
ddrueding said:
Now, where's the SATA version?

As far as I know, Quantum was the only company that just swapped circuit boards to switch from IDE to SCSI. Were it really that simple, wouldn't some other OEM have a 10k SATA drive by now?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
News has been added to the front page. At least this time my response time wasn't horrible (I saw one news submitted by Mangydog several weeks after he submitted it. I was so late that when I tried to reply to his e-mail, his mail account had expired...Sorry).

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Bozo said:
I'm afraid to look at the price for the 300GB model. It's probably your right arm and your left testicle

This could be difficult for some people to pay....