[NEWS] - Philips launches dual-layed 16x DVD burner

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Unfortunately, the number of layers a burner can burn is more important than how fast it can burn just one....

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't understand how that works. Are two layers burned simulataneously to achieve 16x? Does it burn a standard DVD at 8x or 16x?

Handruin

Administrator
Why is it unfortunate that layers are regarded as more important over speed? Usually the speed will increase over time, changing format/media is a harder thing to accomplish. In this case it isn't as much a big deal because a standard DVD-ROM shoudl read multi-layers. I think it's more important to get people into the larger sized format and then increase the speed.

6 minutes to burn a dual layer, 8.5 GB disc is pretty good IMHO.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't know the specifics on this drive, but I remember reading somewhere that both layers need to be burned at the same time because of the chemical change that occurs in the dye. So I would guess like you said that they are either going to pull a math trick on us and calculate the "x" factor based on GB per minute (dual layer writing), or maybe us consumers will luck out and the drive can burn a single layer at 16X.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
This drive will only burn 16x on single layer (i.e. DVD-5) DVD+R

Single layer DVD-R will top out at 8x

Single layer -RW/+RW will likely be 4x

Dual layer (or double layer if you will) (i.e DVD-9) DVD+R will still be at 2.4x

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
... in other words its still going to take about a hour to fill a dual layer +R disc .... if you can find one ..... especially the kind that won't end up underneath all the beverages at your next party.

SteveC

Storage is cool
I want to get a dual-layer drive, but there's just no point in upgrading right now. I still haven't seen any dual-layer disks, and I want a drive that can do at least 4x on them.

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
Anyone hear anything from the -R front? I've got a nice Pioneer DVD player with digital video out which won't play any of my +R stuff. Funny that the older one it replaced had no problem playing +R but lacked the digital output. -- sigh --. Guess I'l have to wait until Pioneer or one of the other -R champions makes their double layer offering available.
Free

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Free,

Are you aware of bitsetting - allows you to burn + discs with a -rom booktype...greatly increases compatibility. Pretty much ubiquitiously available for all LiteOn burners, some NEC drives, and maybe others.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
freeborn said:
Anyone hear anything from the -R front?
End of year maybe....wouldn't hold your breathe on it though....

Try to find someone with a LiteOn and use an appropriate tool to enable bitsetting (if not already set in the drives firmware) and try it out with your Pioneer.