[NEWS] - Maxtor boosts SATA HDD cache to 16MB

Handruin

Administrator
Handruin said:
Maxtor took its 7200rpm Serial ATA hard drive range to 300GB this week, rolling out two new models with big on-board cache buffers.

Both new DiamondMax 10 drives sport 16MB of cache, and support native command queuing (NCQ) to boost data throughput. The extra cache ensures more data can be made ready for fast transmission to the host PC. NCQ is a key component of Serial ATA II and re-orders instructions to read or write data to improve access times.

Link Source

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I think it's to counter the Raptors. Maxtor doesn't have a 10K RPM product ready so they'll market a larger cache instead.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Oh no, I'm sure they're targeting the self-described enthusiasts. You know, the ones that always equates more to better. The ones that buy the latest $300 graphics cards to play 4 year old games becuase they can get 12x the framerate that their eyes can actually detect.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I wonder if the 16 MB cache will allow it to outperform the newer raptors. My guess is that it will for single user applications. But I'm better the NCQ will be useless for most people, although I can see some of the "enthusiasts" claiming how great it will be for when they run their que depth past 16. Uh huh, sure.

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
Having dual processors allows a drive to run much more efficiently. One chip handles Servo, the other the interface. Net result is more robustness and better command service times. It also adds a lot of cost to a drive so it is suprising to see it in an ATA drive. Many SCSI drives have dual processors but the cost structure is much different as well.

Free

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Hmm. That reminds me of "Maxtor's unique DualWave™ multi-processor controller" implemented on the old 6800+.