New York at night Photo

Handruin

Administrator
I'm not sure where this originated from (it was forwarded to me) so I can't give full credit, but I thought this was a nice display of NYC at night.

wtcnyc.jpg

(it looks a little edited, but I'm not sure...The glow behind the statue of liberty is a bit bright)

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin said:
(it looks a little edited, but I'm not sure...The glow behind the statue of liberty is a bit bright)

The glow is from the searchlights at ground zero, although the pic does look a bit edited. It may have been taken on a foggy day, though. I can sometimes see the tops of those light towers from my backyard 10 miles away.

Nice picture but the truth is I'd rather have the towers back. Nearly seven months later I'm still having trouble believing this happened.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Will they switch off these lights sometime in the future or are they gonna be always on?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Prof.Wizard said:
Will they switch off these lights sometime in the future or are they gonna be always on?

The lights will be on every night until April 11. After that, they may use them from time to time for special occasions. Just my opinion, but if I were in charge I would keep them on every night until a new replacement World Trade center was completely built. The electricity runs ~$10,000/month which is small change for New York City, and it really lifts the spirit to see those "Towers of Light".

BTW, there are many plans floating around for what will be built there next. Some want completely new, shorter buildings, others want taller buildings than the originals, and some just want the site to be a memorial park. I would prefer the originals back just to show the terrorists that they can't change our skyline forever. I also realize this is probably the least likely of the scenarios due to the bad memories it would stir up in a lot of people who were there that day.

James

Storage is cool
I'd also prefer the two towers to be returned. The proposal for multiple smaller towers just seems to me (being cynical) as someone taking their chance to get more office space on the same area.

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
. .
Of course, the various realities will dictate that the "original" WTC's won't be rebuilt. Nobody is willing to spend the US$2 000 000 000+ or so to construct -- much less insure, much less work in -- what might well be considered future terrorist targets.

. .

JSF

What is this storage?
Handruin, my response to your post is not very timely, but I want you to know that the image pleased me enough to add it to my selection of monitor background images.

All my other selections are 800 KB or larger, so this image at 50 KB lacks sufficient resolution to obscure the pixels on my 21-inch screen. However, it still looks good.

I searched the internet in the hope that I could find the original image in higher resolution. I found many related images, but none compared with this one in composition. If your source can reveal its origin I would appreciate any information that you could relay to me.

Regarding your suspicion of photo editing, I've determined that the centerline of the photo passes over the financial district and New York's City Hall and Municipal Center. I don't know the city well enough to know where all the high illumination centers are, but if City Center qualifies, perhaps it is the source of the illumination behind the Stature of Liberty.

Thanks for the photo, Joe.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It is a darn nice picture. The symbolism is lost on me (hell, I haven't even seen a picture of the WTC crash or the fire that followed - I decided not to switch the TV on that night and have not had cause to regret it yet) but I can sort of guess what a sense of resurection and redemption that beautiful New York skyline must convey. And even without it, it's a nice picturte.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin said:
(hell, I haven't even seen a picture of the WTC crash or the fire that followed - I decided not to switch the TV on that night and have not had cause to regret it yet)

I remember you saying the same thing in another thread also. I think you're probably the only person in the world with access to television who hasn't seen that footage. In the event you ever do see it, you might understand all the talk about turning Afghanistan into a parking lot that followed on SR and many other places. I'm certainly not saying that would have been the right thing to do, but given how horrific the whole series of events was, it was very easy to think like that at the time.

I think that this event affected many people so profoundly because those buildings were two of the most recognizable landmarks in the world, and due to the large loss of life, practically everyone in the New York area personally knew someone who died(in my case a neighbour's son whom I had known for over 20 years). Also, due to the large population of the New York metro area, maybe 20 million people live with 25 miles of where the attacks occurred, and the sheer scale of the damage was/is horrendous. For point of comparision, the recent plane crash into a building in Milan really didn't affect me too much, except in the abstract, because the loss of life was small, it was an accident rather than a deliberate act, I really wasn't familiar with that particular building, and the building remained standing. However, something like the Eiffel Tower collapsing would affect me, even without large loss of life, because this is another highly recognizable landmark, even though it is in another country. And if it occurred deliberately instead of by an act of nature, it would be that much worse.

James

Storage is cool
This may come across as nasty - if so, it wasn't intended that way.

jtr1962 said:
I remember you saying the same thing in another thread also. I think you're probably the only person in the world with access to television who hasn't seen that footage. In the event you ever do see it, you might understand all the talk about turning Afghanistan into a parking lot that followed on SR and many other places.
No, I'll never understand that talk, because it involves killing 9 million or whatever it is innocent civillians. Kill Al-Queda members if you must, although it's hard to see what benefit it will achieve and frankly it's "revenge" rather than "justice," and I happen to think that's an important distinction. Getting rid of the Taliban was probably on balance good, but not in any way directly justified by the original act. Anything else is barbarism.

It's strange that the WTC incident made Americans so very angry and looking for revenge, and yet Americans are apparently completely unable to understand (for example) the anti-American views of the Palestinians, born from what they feel is the US supporting Israel killing thousands of their people.

I don't condone the Palestinians' views, but it's possible to understand where they came from.
I'm certainly not saying that would have been the right thing to do, but given how horrific the whole series of events was, it was very easy to think like that at the time.
For Americans to think like that, yes, apparently.
I think that this event affected many people so profoundly because those buildings were two of the most recognizable landmarks in the world,
For Americans.
and due to the large loss of life, practically everyone in the New York area personally knew someone who died(in my case a neighbour's son whom I had known for over 20 years). Also, due to the large population of the New York metro area, maybe 20 million people live with 25 miles of where the attacks occurred, and the sheer scale of the damage was/is horrendous.
Yes, I'm sure this is true. It was a terrible event.
For point of comparision, the recent plane crash into a building in Milan really didn't affect me too much, except in the abstract, because the loss of life was small, it was an accident rather than a deliberate act, I really wasn't familiar with that particular building, and the building remained standing.
Yes, but it is a very well known landmark, particularly in Italy of course, but even in Europe it's a known building. That said, of course it was a smaller tragedy because of the much smaller loss of life.

Asd for the idea that whether it was deliberate or not makes it more or less tragic I don't agree, I think that needless deaths are always very sad. This is one of the reasons why the "collateral damage" of bombing Afghanistan (the most conservative US reports indicate that more Afghani civilians were killed by US bombing than Americans were killed in the WTC/Pentagon attacks) has always seemed to me equally terrible - I can't buy the line "yes, it's a shame, but people get killed by accident in wars and we didn't mean to kill them, so it's okay" which from overseas news reports at least seems to be the American view.
However, something like the Eiffel Tower collapsing would affect me, even without large loss of life, because this is another highly recognizable landmark, even though it is in another country. And if it occurred deliberately instead of by an act of nature, it would be that much worse.
I think every country has landmarks which would be sorely missed if they were destroyed. Obviously some are more famous than others (ie. if Venice was to sink completely, it would be an absolute tragedy) but I still think that every country has landmarks that the populace holds very dear - we shouldn't rank them according to whether US tourists have heard of them or not.

I doubt that many people in the US (or elsewhere in fact) had heard of the statues the Taliban destroyed until the destruction was played on the news - but it was a terrible loss of some really pivotal art, and I'm very sad that now I'll never have a chance to see them.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
James said:
Asd for the idea that whether it was deliberate or not makes it more or less tragic I don't agree, I think that needless deaths are always very sad.
I don't agree with you on this particular aspect, James. It is not at all uncommon for thousands of people to die in natural disasters every year. What made this unique was not that it happened to Americans (the rest of the world would have soon got over that, despite the media orgy), but the fact that it was an act of violence, that especially by its nature threatened everyone's sense of personal security.

James

Storage is cool
The fact that several thousand people (for example) died in Turkey not so long ago in an earthquake should have been a cause for concern for the personal security of those that live in other earthquake zones - like, say, California or Japan. Perhaps it was all too abstract though?

But are the deaths in Turkey less tragic than those that died in the WTC? I don't think so. If anything, the human cost in Turkey was greater (since homes and infrastructure were destroyed, creating lasting social effects). I find it hard to assign differing values to the worth of innocent human life.

The WTC/Pentagon events were undoubtedly a tragedy which killed a large amount of people in a very short time. There are, however, many other events around the world such as civil wars (or indeed US retailiatory action) that continue to kill thousands of civilians. The civil war in the Congo has killed over two million people over the last four years - I can't see how the WTC significantly changed those people's sense of security. Or indeed the Israelis, who were already victims of ongoing terrorist action. Or the situation in the Balkans, or Chechnia (sp?), or the southern Philippines, or whatever. And then all the natural disasters which as you say kill thousands every year. And famine, ill-health, poor living conditions...

As I say, I just have a hard time assigning a greater value to the 3,000 dead in New York compared to (say) the 3,000 dead in Afghanistan, or the thousands dead in Israel and Palestine, or Turkey for that matter.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
James,
It's strange that the WTC incident made Americans so very angry and looking for revenge, and yet Americans are apparently completely unable to understand (for example) the anti-American views of the Palestinians, born from what they feel is the US supporting Israel killing thousands of their people.
Some were looking for revenge, most were not. I believe majority of Americans were looking to ensure such future attacks were prevented (or more realistically, minimized). And at the very least wanted to send a message to those who would consider perpetrating such an act again, that there would be a heavy price they must pay for doing so.

I disagree with your assessment of American understanding of the Palestinian's plight. Many do understand how they must feel. But they do not feel that sending one's children out to commit suicide, while intentionally killing other women and children, is ever justified. Sending one's child out to do such a thing is something we cannot understand, and we need not apologise for not being able to in my opinion. I heard it said best the other day when discussing when the suicide bombing would end. "It will end when the Palestinians love their children more than they hate the Jews."

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Sorry Bill, I have to take issue with that quote. So far as I understand it, the suicide bombers have been (almost?) universally adults. Eighteen year olds most definitely have free will, have joined Hamas etc of their own volition, and certainly have not been sent to die by their parents.

I have to say that your quote appears to be insidious propaganda, no matter how wistful it sounds.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
David,

I think you took it in other than the way I meant it when I posted that quote. Never the less I apologise if I offended you as that was surely not my intent.

Bill :D

James

Storage is cool
Strictly speaking, we're all our parents' children (except those of us who are clones), no matter how old we are - so you could read the quote that way I guess. (I don't agree with it particularly, even so.)

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Sorry about the untimely response-I've been a bit busy as of late. Anyway, here goes:

James said:
This may come across as nasty - if so, it wasn't intended that way.

Not at all, you're merely stating your opinion, just as I previously stated mine. :) I'm really surprised my post drew the kind of response it did. I was merely trying to explain the symbolism behind the picture to the usually knowledgeable Tannin.

No, I'll never understand that talk, because it involves killing 9 million or whatever it is innocent civillians. Kill Al-Queda members if you must, although it's hard to see what benefit it will achieve and frankly it's "revenge" rather than "justice," and I happen to think that's an important distinction. Getting rid of the Taliban was probably on balance good, but not in any way directly justified by the original act. Anything else is barbarism.

Killing 9 million Afghans would be revenge of the worst kind, and I certainly wouldn't condone it regardless of whatever I may have posted in the days following September 11. Killing Al-Queda members is not revenge, it is justice. Justice takes many forms, not all of them in a courtroom. The legal system is ill-equipped to deal with people for whom the threat of punishment is meaningless(since they are ready, willing, and able to die for their cause), so killing known terrorists by any means available is really the only realistic option open to any nation hoping to secure itself against terrorism. That being said, if there was some unforeseen set of circumstances that made eliminating millions of people necessary for world security, I would not hestitate for one minute to make such a horrible decision, and I would probably commit suicide once the deed was done out of guilt.

In all fairness, although the U.S. proudly points to getting rid of the Taliban as a positive result of the military action, the simple truth is that we turned our backs on what was going on in Afghanistan for years until it finally came back to bite us in the ass, and if not for the attacks, the Taliban would still be in power.

It's strange that the WTC incident made Americans so very angry and looking for revenge, and yet Americans are apparently completely unable to understand (for example) the anti-American views of the Palestinians, born from what they feel is the U.S. supporting Israel killing thousands of their people.

I don't condone the Palestinians' views, but it's possible to understand where they came from.

I definitely understand the Palestinian's views, and in their shoes I doubt I would be acting much differently(I would only send suicide bombers to military targets). I'm certainly no apologist for Israel, or for my nation's blind support of it. I was a little disgusted by otherwise objective SR members blindly siding with Israel when the topic came up, but I was in no mood to get into any long running arguments in what would likely have been a futile effort. The U.S. supports Israel mainly because there are a disproportionate number of Jews in positions of power in the United States. Furthermore, the Jewish-controlled media has a rather pro-Israel bias, and our education system is very poor at creating independent thinkers(actually, very poor at teaching anything really), which explains the pro-Israel attitudes of many of my fellow countrymen. I'm beginning to understand the reasons why the American government(and in some cases the American people) are so despised around the non-Western world, but sadly not too many of my fellow Americans are willing to take that step.

BTW, I entirely blame U.S. support for Israel for the destruction of the WTC, and I'll explain my reasoning. I think we can both safely assume that OBL considers himself at war with the U.S. Therefore, the Pentagon was a valid target, but not the WTC. However, if he wanted to make an issue of US support for Israel he couldn't have picked a better target. The WTC was full of firms dealing with finance, and in fact was the premier symbol of the financial district in NYC. Finance is the chosen field of a disproportionate number of Jews, New York City itself has a very large Jewish population, and Jews dominate NYC government. Even the owner of the WTC is Jewish. In short, it made a perfect symbolic target against U.S. support for Israel, even though the majority of those killed were not Jewish. Of course, the WTC also made a perfect symbolic target if OBL wanted to attack capitalism. Perhaps he used both reasons in his twisted mind.

Asd for the idea that whether it was deliberate or not makes it more or less tragic I don't agree, I think that needless deaths are always very sad. This is one of the reasons why the "collateral damage" of bombing Afghanistan (the most conservative US reports indicate that more Afghani civilians were killed by US bombing than Americans were killed in the WTC/Pentagon attacks) has always seemed to me equally terrible - I can't buy the line "yes, it's a shame, but people get killed by accident in wars and we didn't mean to kill them, so it's okay" which from overseas news reports at least seems to be the American view.

First of all, I wholehearted agree that any death is tragic, and I don't even restrict my beliefs to human deaths(nothing gets me more angry than cruelty to animals). Any preventable death is all the more tragic for the simple reason that it needn't have happened, and this certainly includes deliberate acts. There are many deaths every day from illness, accidents, and so forth, but it is always the deliberate ones that get our attention for the simple reason that another human being purposely caused them. In this light, yes, the so-called "accidental" deaths of Afghan civilians are equally tragic, and if OBL truly professed to care about the Afghan people, he and his men would have surrendered when they were first offered the opportunity. He chose not to, and so indirectly caused the civilian deaths by forcing the US to arms. Once the use of military force started, the "fog" of war more or less ensured that there would be non-military casualties. Or to quote Captain James T. Kirk:"War is a messy business, a very messy business".

I think every country has landmarks which would be sorely missed if they were destroyed. Obviously some are more famous than others (ie. if Venice was to sink completely, it would be an absolute tragedy) but I still think that every country has landmarks that the populace holds very dear - we shouldn't rank them according to whether US tourists have heard of them or not.

I doubt that many people in the US (or elsewhere in fact) had heard of the statues the Taliban destroyed until the destruction was played on the news - but it was a terrible loss of some really pivotal art, and I'm very sad that now I'll never have a chance to see them.

Agreed on your first point. Regarding the statues, I did know about that. I saw it on CNN prior to September 11. I know you consider many Amercans ignorant of world events, but it is important for you to understand that American media is largely to blame for that. Prior to September 11, what little world coverage existed was often buried within hours of sensationalism. The American media was(is) obsessed with totally irrelevant celebrity gossip and American events to the point that the average American knows little of what goes on in the rest of the world. So-called "International News" might comprise 30 seconds out of any hour of broadcasting, and the obsession with celebrity gossip often means that the rest of the hour might be 80% irrelevant garbage. As a result, many people, such as myself, simple gave up watching the news or reading newspapers entirely, and the remainder lived in the American fantasy world created by the media. What little news I got was usually from the Internet, and even most of that was filled with celebrity gossip. This changed to a certain extent for a while after September 11, but as of late it seems that the news is reverting back to it's tabloid ways, and as a result I'm paying less attention to it. I just don't have the patience to listen to hours(or read pages) of gossip to hear(or read) a few relevant bits of news. You may be incredulous about this, but such is the ratings driven American news coverage, and apparently the majority of the American public can't get enough of this celebrity trash, which speaks volumes for the poor state of our educational system.

I find it hard to assign differing values to the worth of innocent human life.

You may, but it is accepted that some lives are worth more than others, at least from a compensation standpoint. At the risk of sounding callous, if you had a limited number of seats on some transport off of a doomed Earth, an American(or pick any other nationality) engineer will rate much higher than an Afghan villager. In fact, there are some in government who want to assign every citizen a number based on IQ, education, experience, health, and a few other factors in order to set up a system to decide who would receive limited resources first in the event of some national or global catastrophe. The purpose of such a system would be to increase the chances of survival of the human race following some cataclismic event such as an asteroid hit or global nuclear war. A cold, calculating way to look at things for sure, but someday the survival of the human race may hinge on somebody picking the most promising candidates to survive.

Sorry to get overly emotional every time this topic comes up, but the first time I saw the ruins of the WTC I had the very disturbing thought that I was looking at the future of the human race in microcosm. I've imagined such an apocalypse many times, but to actually see some of my visions translated into reality was quite disturbing. Had an earthquake or meteor brought the towers down, I would have felt differently, likely thinking that it was a one-time freak occurence.