New Server for SF.net!

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm taking up a collection to purchases this server being sold on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2017876057
Please send your cash donations directly to me so that we can upgrade our server here at SF. Checks and Credit Cards not accepted. Please note that with my $300,000.00 donation already in the kitty there is not much more left to collect. So send your cash in large bill denominations as soon as possible. Sorry - US Dollars only, no funny money with Queens or Kangaroos accepted. Email me for the mailing address.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
550,000U$:eekers:

Honestly Bill, I think we'll find a way to live without it. Burst bust, but at least it's cheap.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yes. And if we win, I'll be available to take local delivery. :)

Really, though, this machine is a Sequent-based 2x 4CPU @ 700MHz each. Only 1GB RAM per node (that's NUMA - each quad of CPUs has its own pool of memory. Compare to UMA, what PCs use... memory I/O is probably through the roof).

Half of the regular participants of this forum probably have more computing power sitting around the house.

I see it's running Dynix/ptx, which means it scales to ultra-heavy loads (the 10-node 386/25-based machines at purdue could handle 500+ interactive users apiece with a load average under 2.0!) Definately a non-standard I/O subsystem. Storage is slightly anemic, too. 90GB of FC disks, as I read it. That's REALLY light for a FC subsystem. Also it's limited to 100Mbit ethernet and doesn't include any FC cabinets (the switch is nice, but where would we put the drives?). The 64-port terminal server is interesting, but probably not very useful unless we all wanted to dial in to SF.

I don't think that box is worth a half-million dollars.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
SHHH! I'm trying make a buck or two here Coug. Give me a break.

Handruin

Administrator
I don’t know, do you think it would be able to handle all of those large posts by Tannin? ;) I think upgrading to an Emachine would be a plus to SF at this point.

I'm looking at switching us to www.splashhost.com . I've heard plenty of good reviews by word of mouth about them. Even www.voxetreme.com recommends them, and they sell the same thing. :) I have to find out more ifo first, but I'll keep people posted.

BTW, we have moved servers at burst once again. The other day you may remember the site was down from 10:30ish, to 4:00 PM -5 GMT. They decided to move use to a faster dual processor machine.

It would have been nice if they let us know before doing stuff like this...I hate large hours of downtime...I hate any down time. :)