New Laptop Bag

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm looking to get a good quality laptop back for work. I'm sick of the cheap-o bag I have now plus it's falling apart. I like what I've seen of the WaterField Design Medium Cargo. It's not at all cheap, but I am aware that sometimes you get what you pay for. Though I'd probably like to spend less. My work laptop currently is a 14.1" non-widescreen system (though may be replaced later this year). My current bag is 16" x 12" x 5" and I feel it's a good size. I wouldn't want something much larger.

Any suggestions for some other good quality similar style bags style I should look at?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My notebooks go in Lenovo Messenger Max bags. I think they cost about $25. They have room for all my stuff. They're very sturdy.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I've always preferred relatively cheap bags that I just replace every 1-2 years. I also prefer bags that don't look like laptop bags.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I am a fan of Briggs Riley, very good stuff. I have a nice laptop brief in blue but it seems like the colors are either moss or black now for all the briefs, too bad as I like my blue. Like most they have a new line of checkpoint friendly stuff for the new TSA rules with a section that folds out so that the laptop is away from the rest and the whole thing lays flat and avoids your having to take the laptop out.

Mercutio

What's the inside of the bag look like? I can't find any pictures of the inside.

There are two interior compartments with nice piece of padding between them. In the zippered exterior compartment there are four pouches that are just the right size to hold a 2.5" hard drive in an external enclosure, and a couple of loops for pens or screwdrivers. The other side has compartment with a velcro tab to keep it closed.

They're just about perfect for my needs.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I went the backpack route. Got a $30 or $40 leather Samsonite at their outlet store a couple of years ago and it's held up well for the daily to-and-from the office. For distance traveling I use a wheeled backpack. It sucks as a backpack but it has wheels and a telescoping handle and a cushioned laptop pouch. Plus gobs of other pouches and pockets that make it easy to store the charger, books I might read on a flight, MP3 player, etc. It even has webbed side pouches that can store a good sized water bottle. Very handy since I always pick one up after the citizens-are-criminals TSA checkpoint.

Handruin

Administrator
I ended up getting a Keen Alameda bag. It's close to the size of yours at 15x13x5. It fits my Lenovo T500 fine with power, cat 5, mouse, and other odds and ends. This bag also fits my Klean Kanteen on the side. I don't know if this fits what you're looking for but it's less than half the price of the WaterField (and it's using recycled stuff to boot).

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I think you mean the "highly ineffective citizens-are-criminals TSA checkpoint". :skepo:
I would think "highly ineffective" would be redundant when talking about the TSA. :compress:

Along with my siblings I am flying this weekend to visit my father who will probably pass within the next few weeks. After I return I will really, really try to not fly again. I'm sure it won't be avoidable for the occasional business trip but future vacations will be within driving distance unless things change for the better.

What's pushed me over the edge is the deployment of the backscatter xray machines. While the TSA agent who views the image of your de-clothed body supposedly will see an image with facial details blurred, the image that is taken & stored for possible forensic use won't be blurred. And that stored image will be on a server managed by some low-level government grunt (or worse yet, outsourced) who might get their jollies by posting the odd pic online or might pad their pocketbook by selling image collections.

Handruin

Administrator
I would think "highly ineffective" would be redundant when talking about the TSA. :compress:

Along with my siblings I am flying this weekend to visit my father who will probably pass within the next few weeks. After I return I will really, really try to not fly again. I'm sure it won't be avoidable for the occasional business trip but future vacations will be within driving distance unless things change for the better.

Sorry to hear about your father. I hope the best for you guys. Good luck with the travels.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm sure it won't be avoidable for the occasional business trip but future vacations will be within driving distance unless things change for the better.

There's always Amtrak for domestic travel. If you want to go overseas, there's transatlantic ships. Neither of these will work for me for long distance travel until I'm retired or have more vacation time.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Sorry to hear about your father. I hope the best for you guys. Good luck with the travels.
Thanks. He's 80 years old and this wasn't unexpected, but the past couple of months things have been happening too fast for us to adjust. He's off all meds except pain killers and is starting hospice care. A smoker for over 60 years, there's a large mass in one lung and he has an enlarged liver. Alzheimer's has also hit him hard so while we're there there's no telling if he'll be lucid or not.

It really sucks as he worked hard to finally quit smoking, beat type 2 diabetes through disciplined diet & exercise, and survived prostate cancer. There just seems to be so little dignity and quality to life as we age & our health declines.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
There's always Amtrak for domestic travel. If you want to go overseas, there's transatlantic ships. Neither of these will work for me for long distance travel until I'm retired or have more vacation time.
True, although as you mention ships are too slow considering how much vacation we get.

The train is a good idea. Some friends took a train from Chicago to Texas in 2008 and boarded a cruise ship there. They flew home, but could have taken the train if they had an extra day or two. They mentioned that the train station in TX wasn't really passenger-friendly but the managed.

Stereodude

Not really a
Sorry to hear about your father.
What's pushed me over the edge is the deployment of the backscatter xray machines. While the TSA agent who views the image of your de-clothed body supposedly will see an image with facial details blurred, the image that is taken & stored for possible forensic use won't be blurred. And that stored image will be on a server managed by some low-level government grunt (or worse yet, outsourced) who might get their jollies by posting the odd pic online or might pad their pocketbook by selling image collections.
I don't have a problem with the new machines. I have a problem with the complete and utter suspension of reality that the TSA and the Federal Gov't operates under.

Every time there's a failed terrorist attack they make traveling more inconvenient for everyone because they're not willing to acknowledge the nature of the threat. We have to take off our shoes, can't bring liquids on a plane over 3oz, and now have to sit there doing nothing with our hands in our lap in our seats for the last hour of a flight. The last one is especially laughable. What's to stop someone from doing something 90 minutes before landing? Or during take-off? Pretty soon we'll have to sit there with nothing in our laps for the whole flight.

Too many people in the US are sheep and think the Federal Gov't is going to save them. They say really stupid stuff like, "I don't care how long it takes to go through security as long as we're safe." Uh... Lets put a number on that and see how long air travel stays viable. 10 years ago a 6 hour drive somewhere was undesirable, and now it's the fastest way to get somewhere. Once they've finished making commercial air travel nonviable they'll start attacking the trains & buses so they become nonviable too. There's gonna be good money in selling horses as a means of personal transportation soon enough.

If you're on a plane and something happens you'd better home there's a dutch tourist to jump the guy because Janet Napolitano and the TSA agents who let the guy through the checkpoint won't be on the plane to save you. You're going to have to take matters into your own hands. Sitting in your seat with your nothing in your lap but your hands is only going to make you a victim.

We're giving the terrorists exactly what they're after (degrading our standard of living) under the guise of "keeping everyone safe" because we'd rather be politically correct and dead instead of focusing all the man hours and money on the threat and save some lives. If an old white man with gray hair, a beard, and a glass eye robbed a local bank and the local police stopped and searched every person in the area while looking for the robber making sure everyone was treated the same you would have them all fired for their incompetence, but at the airport we take pride that everyone is treated like a possible terrorist.

Sign me up! I know I can't wait to fly again. :tdown:

ddrueding

Fixture
Most of you are lucky enough to live near a US border. Drive/train across, and fly from there. Me? Any US land border is at least 10 hours away.

Mercutio

I now have an idea for a wonderful new enterprise: Someone should build an international airport in the pacific just off the US coastal border. They can make it out of cargo ships or shipping containers or something. Annoyed Californians could pay a premium to not have to have their cavities searched every time they get on a plane.

Stereodude

Not really a
That would only work if they were flying to destinations not in the US or it's territories and weren't flying over US airspace.

ddrueding

Fixture
There seems to be confusion as to what they want. Either we can go back to how it was and let a few people die, or we can all fly naked, manacled to our seats, under guard.

Stereodude

Not really a
There seems to be confusion as to what they want. Either we can go back to how it was and let a few people die, or we can all fly naked, manacled to our seats, under guard.
Nah, they can tranquilize people and load them on the plane as freight and wake them up after the plane lands and they've unloaded them.

Mercutio

Nah, they can tranquilize people and load them on the plane as freight and wake them up after the plane lands and they've unloaded them.

And we can name all our planes after Joseph Conrad novels and make sure that every plane has someone aboard who looks like Lance Hendrickson!

Hopefully at least one of you will get that.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
In the last few months I purchased a Northface Surge backpack for less than $100. I'm a big fan now. Among other things it has a seperate laptop compartment with external access for those TSA days.