New Firefox out

SteveC

Storage is cool
Anyone try it yet? The new release notes don't really say what was fixed between 0.9 an 0.9.1.

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
There was a list of bugs in the forums at mozillazine before they went down.
I looked through them but I forget most of them (only about 6 of them).
It has an updated default theme versus 0.9.
There was an extension manager bug, a top crash (website that crashes firefox), and some javascript fix from what I remember.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Will Rickards WT said:
There was a list of bugs in the forums at mozillazine before they went down.
I looked through them but I forget most of them (only about 6 of them).
It has an updated default theme versus 0.9.
There was an extension manager bug, a top crash (website that crashes firefox), and some javascript fix from what I remember.

Thanks for the extra details Will. I was a bit sarcastic.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Thanks, Will. I installed it on top of 0.9, and so far no problems. The only extension I had installed was Adblock, which still works. Hopefully, this will be what 0.9 should have been.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I installed it last night and am happy to report without any issues. Everything works, and all pluggins (PDF, Java, Real alt, QT alt, Flash) and extentions (although I only have Adlock and the default DOM currently installed) are functional without any special steps having been taken on my part....I even forgot to disable adblock before I upgraded (cause I forgot its not listed in the Tools>extentions, but rather is a unique entry itself i.e. Tools>Adblock) and no reprocussions ensued.

The icons look nicer too.

In fact, I'm much happier with .9.1. When I had previously upgraded to the initial .9 release, aside from all the highly annoying installation issues I experienced, I also felt that the browser was discernably slower in every day use compared to the former v.8. I don't know if that degradation in performance was the result of the troublesome v.9 installation and was thus limited to me personally, or whether the problem extended to every user. Regardless, this newest release has, for me personally, restored FF's prior snappiness. So as to what percisely this is attributable is anyone's guess.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Thanks for the Review CityK. I may download that latest version. For the time being, I've switched to Mozilla 1.7. It has worked very good for thus far.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
anybody know what's going wrong with those of us who launch Firefox but it never pops up? Any tips on what we can do? I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling it, with no luck.

Will Rickards WT

Website
www.willrickards.net
Yes there was a thread about it on the mozillazine forums.
Let me see if I can remember... delete your extensions or something like that.
So if you've uninstalled (and taken the program directory with it) and move your profile you should be good if you then do an install. It will start with a clean profile.
It is kind of a pain to start with a clean profile as you have to move the bookmarks.html and then you lose all your autologin stuff and saved stuff.
That is why I use Mozilla Backup. That way I can start with a clean profile and then restore my settings to it.
I didn't actually do that with 0.9. I just started with a clean profile.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
SteveC, So you installed on top of 0.9 and had no problems??!! Did you have any extensions installed on 0.9?

CityK, how did you install it? Uninstalled extensions then 0.9, and then installed 0.9.,x?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
SteveC said:
I installed it on top of 0.9,...
The Firefox crew has repeated over and over in the past not to install a new version on top of the older one, yet people still do it... and scream when it crashes.

When you install a new version of Firefox, do it in a new directory. You don't have to delete what's in your c:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ directory, but do not re-install on top of the c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox directory. If you do, chances are good that you will experience some bugs or crashes that would otherwise not occured.

You can, for instance, simply install the new Firefox 9.1 under c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox 9.1 and leave your old installation untouched.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have a question.

Is there a plugin for firefox that enables the drop down text box for websites where you have previously visited and entered in something? For example in IE6 I can go to google and double click on the textbox and there is a drop down list of everything I have ever typed in there.

Lazy feature that I like.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
mubs said:
SteveC, So you installed on top of 0.9 and had no problems??!! Did you have any extensions installed on 0.9?

CityK, how did you install it? Uninstalled extensions then 0.9, and then installed 0.9.,x?

Mubs,

- in v0.9: went to Tools > Extentions and uninstall all extentions ....... in my case, I only had the DOM (which was installed by default with FF 0.9). I just left DOM the way it was (I don't even think it has an uninstall option). I also had Adblock installed, but (as I mentioned earlier) it wasn't listed in the Extentions list, but is rather an unique entry itself in the Tools menu (possibly because its still not v9 approved). As a consequence, I forgot to disable or unistall Adblock :eek:
- Goto to Start > Settings > Add/Remove Prog > Uninstall FF v0.9 .... when prompted about the directory not being empty I declined to delete everything (ie. all the pluggins where left behind in the program files\Mozilla\FF directories). Reboot after all that completes (probably not needed but I like to get rid of everything the good old fashioned way)
- Install FF v0.9.1
- launch browser .... everything works....even the Adblock which I forgot to disable or uninstall :D

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
CougTek said:
The Firefox crew has repeated over and over in the past not to install a new version on top of the older one, yet people still do it... and scream when it crashes.
That's not the user's fault. Their installation routine is inadequate if it can't handle being installed over a prior version. Geez, all the installer has to do is do the uninstall itself before the new install.

Will Rickards WT

Website
www.willrickards.net
MaxBurn said:
I have a question.

Is there a plugin for firefox that enables the drop down text box for websites where you have previously visited and entered in something? For example in IE6 I can go to google and double click on the textbox and there is a drop down list of everything I have ever typed in there.

Lazy feature that I like.

Press the down arrow.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I must say that 0.91 seems significantly snappier than 0.8. Faster to load as well.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've just installed Ff 9.1 on my Linux box and I noticed that the mozilla crew has bundle a new and more readable font with it. Nice.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Some further notes:

1) Something easy to overlook -> When installing new extensions, make sure you have Tools > Options > Advanced > Software Update section's "Allow web site to install software" checked, otherwise nothin' happin mann.

2) Adblock is now 0.9.1 compatible .... meaning it shows up in the extentions list now...but also still maintains a unique entry in the Tools menu. The "adblock" icon has also switched over to the right hand part of the status bar.

If your interested in some filters, this thread may be of interest to you. I have my own that seem to work just fine for my needs. For example, "http://65.119.30.151/*" gets rid of those pesky NewEgg flash ads that I complained about recently.

If your not using adblock, and curious about how it works, you should read rue's last comment here and the brief explanation of functions found here

The last Adblock item of interest is the note on the bottom of its homepage that they are targeting Flash Click to View functionality in future builds

3) Speaking of FCTV/Flashblock, the current version 0.8.2 will install successfully on 0.9+, but will not show up under the extension list.

The other noteworthy item about the latest developments with this extention are contained in the "Help!!!!" message on its home page.

--------------------

Perhaps it would be best if Flashblock is abandoned and Adblock integrates its capabilities. With that said, I do have to admit that I like the way the two work together - with Adblock my filters block the flash I know I don't want to see and with Flashblock, it blocks all the rest and gives me "click to view functionality" as opposed to having to use the Cntl-Shift-F route in Adblock. Flashblock also places its placeholder icon in the case of flash that has been blocked by Adblock. If you click the icon in those cases, the icon dissapears but nothing happens (which is good, cause we know we didn't want to see it to begin with). I kind of like having the place holder, just to let you know that the crap is there.

Onomatopoeic

The only anomaly in 0 . 9 . 1 that I've found so far is that it does not always display highlighted or flashing text properly.

I also wish I could manually sort bookmarks and folders within FireFox like I can with IE Favourites.

EdwardK

I installed FireFor 0.9.1 on a newly reformatted computer (set it as default browser). Then I used it to go to Microsoft Office Download Center to download updates for MS Office. I found that all the text are jumbled together and all the icons are missing on the MS Office Download page. But then, I am not surprised at all.

Cheers,
Edward

Splash

EdwardK said:
...Then I used it to go to Microsoft Office Download Center to download updates for MS Office. I found that all the text are jumbled together and all the icons are missing on the MS Office Download page...

Hmmmm...... No *display* problems here using FireFox OhPointNinerPointOne on that OfficeUpdate page at Microsoft. It did complain in that...
  • [list:f3291460cf] Warning: You are viewing this page with an unsupported Web browser. This Web site works best with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or later or Netscape Navigator 6.0 or later. Click here for more information on supported browsers.
[/list:u:f3291460cf]

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
exploitin'

Ars Technica said:
Another browser exploit: this time it's Mozilla
"Chances are, Firefox and its brethren will be more heavily scrutinized by malware writers as it grows in popularity. Internet Explorer has been the 'low-hanging fruit' for exploits for a long time, in part due to its market share. As more users switch to Mozilla, chances are we'll see more alerts such as this."