Mystery of the Mostly Missing Molar

SteveC

Storage is cool
Last night, I had trouble sleeping, and I was tossing and turning all night. When I got up in the morning, the left side of my jaw was bothering me. I didn't think much of it until the pain didn't go away - instead it got worse. I finally looked in a mirror, and the entire top half of my bottom wisdom tooth was gone, almost down to the gums. I don't remember banging my mouth or biting anything very hard recently, so I don't know what happened.

For dinner, I couldn't eat anything solid, and right now, the pain has moved up to my temple, giving me a really bad headache. I have to call the dentist in the morning, and hopefully I can get it fixed the same day, because this is killing me. My dentist previously told me that my wisdom teeth would probably have to be pulled, but I kept putting it off. I think that was a mistake.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm attempting to keep my wisdom teeth for as long as possible. I figure that if I have enough room in my mouth for them, then I will just go ahead and keep them.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
My dentist told me it was better to take them while they were ok, i.e. easier. So I had them taken out.
It was a pretty easy thing for me, now I don't need to worry about that anymore. For the record, I didn't have any problems with them before them being taken out.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
For nearly all people, leaving those suckers in only leads to trouble. They'll eventually break and hurt a lot, as SteveC has evidenced.

If you get them out sooner, they can crack them in half and take them out, clean and controlled. If you wait, like my dad did, you'll end up having them try to pick out fifty pieces with tweezers....

SteveC

Storage is cool
It doesn't help that I normally sleep on my left side. Two nights in a row without sleep - I'm not going to be a pleasant person to be around tomorrow.

SteveC

Storage is cool
The pain is gone, along with my #17 tooth. I'll have to go back in a couple weeks to get the other three removed, but this was the one causing me the problems. About a minute after he gave me the novacaine, my headache completely disappeared. And I was suprised at how quick it was: the extraction itself took about 20 seconds.

ddrueding

Fixture
I currently have 2 teeth that are in the state described by the OP. One has been like that for 2 years, the other for only a year. The pain is gone. Keeping them clean is more difficult, but of all the things going on right no, it can wait another year (or until I get insurance, whichever comes first).

SteveC

Storage is cool
sechs said:
Ah, but did you get the narcotics?

I got a prescription for vicodin, but I didn't fill it. I don't have any pain, and I hate taking any medication I don't absolutely have to. I am taking the anti-biotics though.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I was prescribed Vicodin a few years ago when I went over the handlebars of my bike and sprained my jaw. That was the first time I had ever had prescription pain killers, and the first time I ever use a pain killer that actually worked. That stuff puts you in a crazy daze...

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Vicodin has a pretty strong reputation, but I guess sensitivity varies. When I hurt my back 18 months ago and was bedridden, Vicodin didn't do much for me at all. What got me back on my feet was a combination of Celebrex (a wonder drug!) and a muscle relaxant.

Similarly, Tylenol has no effect on me, but Ibuprofen works. Weird.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Celebrex and ibuprofen are both NSAIDs. You should consider naproxen (Alleve).

Vicodin is over-prescribed as a pain killer. There are much cheaper and safer narcotics to give to people.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I was having some back spasms a few years ago. I eventually had to go, and get a Cortizone shot. I have a very high tolerance for pain so this pain was pretty bad. I have since found that 4 Alleve has the same affect on me as the shot.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Sechs. I've never tried naproxen. When I get my occassional, completely debilitating migraines, I pop 3 x 200 mg Ibu for some relief. Maybe naproxen will be better.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Naproxen is absorbed more slowly, but it's stronger. It also won't eat your liver as quickly.

I have arthritis in my knees (although a new doctor a year ago was the first to figure this out). So I've worn out the welcome of aspirin, ibuprofen, and ketoprofen. Naproxen was the drug of choice until I was put on prescription strength ibuprofen.

For those of you for which acetaminophen (Tylenol) works, you can mix it with NSAIDs for a synergistic (positive) interaction.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Howell said:
I eventually had to go, and get a Cortizone shot. I have a very high tolerance for pain so this pain was pretty bad. I have since found that 4 Alleve has the same affect on me as the shot.

Although I have yet to be injected with Cortizone, I have been numerous times with my father to the doctor for his Cortizone shots. Through this experience, I have found that it is incredibly important for the injection to take place at the central point of pain. My father has been to many doctors for these injections, but the only one that ever got it right is to old to practice medicine these days (yes, old school German). His technique was painful, but extremely effective. He would first apply a pressure-point technique to find the exterior point of pain, then mark it. Afterwhich, he would stick the needle into the flesh at the marked point and move the needle around until he hit the specific spot internally that was the source of pain. My father, someone who I admire for being able to tolerate a great deal of pain (old school Prussian pride, something about surviving WWII and spending decades as a boiler stoker (this reminds of the movie thread where we talked about the stubborness and tenacity of those in the movie Zulu)), would turn pale white from the pain during this process, but the end result was worth it. I would drive him home, since he was temporarily in too much pain to drive himself (although he would argue otherwise), then after a day, the pain would dissipate and not return for several months. Unfortunately, the way the injections are done by the doctors he has available to him today, his pain is only relieved for a couple of weeks (he complains everytime because he knows they have missed the spot as he feels the needle going in). By the way, he has been prescribed pain medications, but the most average ones (as those that have been mentioned) are useless, the stronger ones are bad for his irregular heart beat, so he just deals with the pain, drinks a little red wine and goes about his business. I wish I could be that strong.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck, accupuncture may help your dad. The main problem with it is that it's not a "cure", it works for a while and then you need to have the needles stuck in you again.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
mubs said:
Buck, accupuncture may help your dad. The main problem with it is that it's not a "cure", it works for a while and then you need to have the needles stuck in you again.

He has tried accupressure, accupuncture, and massage therapy by several different doctors, but as you point out, none of this is permanent. It lasts about two days and then he has to go again. He wouldn't spend the money to go that often. The pain is primarly from arthritis in his shoulders and sternum. Top that off with a back that was been broken many decades ago, and he has reason to moan when he gets out of a chair. But even at seventy, he can run faster then me. :) He has tried several different types of internal medicines, but for some reason he always comes back to red wine. 8)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck said:
He has tried several different types of internal medicines, but for some reason he always comes back to red wine. 8)

Watch out for gout with the red wine.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Pradeep said:
Buck said:
He has tried several different types of internal medicines, but for some reason he always comes back to red wine. 8)

Watch out for gout with the red wine.

Duly noted Pradeep, although he seems to be exempt from gout. Having poisoned his body with acidic and volatile fluids for the majority of his life, I think he's held together remarkably well and should keep himself in working order for sometime to go. His brother-in-law has not faired with such ease, being similar in age and occupations. He does have serious problems with gout.