MS Office XP Service Pack 3 Released

ddrueding

Fixture
Whew, good thing I've already migrated from this piece of legacy software ;)

Office 2003 forever! Or at least, until Office 2004....

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance
ddrueding said:
Whew, good thing I've already migrated from this piece of legacy software ;)

Whew, it's a good thing I NEVER BOUGHT OFFICE XP to begin with! I recently went from Office 2K Premium to Office 2K3 Pro.

Office XP was nothing more than a warmed-over Office 2K with *Activiation* added. Office 2k, on the other hand, really is a step forward from Office 2K.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Outlook XP sucks a great deal less than Outlook 2000. I hate them both, but it's retarded that Microsoft's mail client can be configured in such a way that it can't talk to an Exchange server, which is absolutely possible with Outlook 2000.
Also a full install of Office XP has a smaller footprint on disk. ... and I think it runs a little faster, probably the result of more multithreaded functions.

Office 2003, though, seems absolutely worthless if your PC doesn't have 512MB RAM, something I've been suffering with at work for the last few weeks.

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance
Mercutio said:
...I hate them both, but it's retarded that Microsoft's mail client can be configured in such a way that it can't talk to an Exchange server, which is absolutely possible with Outlook 2000...

Hey Merc,

This is one you should file away for your own use in Troubleshooting For The Clueless:

I ran into a bizarre problem today with Outlook 2003, but was finally able to track down a "fix" for it just now (fix == an obscure configuration change in OutHouse 2003).

Essentially, Outlook 2K3 had been functioning fine -- accessing my Exchange mailbox and downloading mail to my personal folder on a separate file server -- until I did a setup to access some group (shared) Exchange Server mailboxes. Upon starting up Outlook 2K3 after adding these group mailboxes, suddenly, I had a dialogue box in my face wanting Username and Password. WTF??? Well, after a bunch of fiddling about, I had to dump the Exchange group mailboxes. Everything went back to normal after that.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825230&Product=out2003

Yes. Outlook (after Outlook 2K) accesses multiple mail accounts in a different way by default now -- all at once.

Other than that, I had no problem at all initially setting up Outlook 2003 to access my Exchange server (which is running Exchange 2000). I don't care at all for the new simplified "Exchange Settings Properties" control panel for Mail setup.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Biggest problem I have with Outlook 2003 is that is often becomes unresponsive when dl'ing emails. If it's downloading messages and I click on a link in an email, I know I'll be waiting a good 30 secs before it wakes up and launches an IE window. I don't know if it's to do with the 13,000 messages in my Inbox or 5000+ in my junk email folder or the 6-7 accounts I check via dial up every 5 mins, or just classic Outlook misbehaviour.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Jeeze. The only problem I've really had with Eudora is Norton Internet Security tripping it up, and causing it to freeze. And that's not a problem with Eudora....