More Vista nonsense

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
sechs said:
Is there any sense in Vista?

To Microsoft, sure: They need to force people to upgrade every few years to get a new influx of cash and to prove to Software Advantage consumers that they are getting something for their money.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's a shock.

On the plus side, I've recently had people ask me about Linux/MySQL who I didn't think could spell SQL.

Brown_Sugar

What is this storage?
This is anoying because we can't swicthed it off, and people have thier own taste about their music choice.

But I must agree that they want to create an image through its complusory sound where people will remember about vista when they hear the it. It just another way of recognizion about the product beside the logo or the prodct itself.

The only reason that bother me is when i read this "Ball said that there will be a pre-wired sound that plays when the system is ready for you to logon which will be non-customisable, just like the X-Box. He said that there was no big deal about it. Sony and Toshiba both have compulsory sounds."

Why not being different than Sony and Toshiba, and make it cutomisable with more choices of complusory sound. We like to customize thing and be different and more personalized. At least I do.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
MS has decided they know what's best for everybody. Vista is proof. Administrator account is disabled, even in safe mode? You must log into a computer on the network after every reboot or startup (Vista will no longer remember user names/passwords.) You must manually 'ok' logging onto a network after every reboot/start. A window pops up telling you it's time for a shower/bath. You cannot make a backup over a network to a file server or another computer. You cannot do a system repair from the DVD like you can in XP and Win2k (Over write the system files leaving user programs and setting alone)
Bah

Vista is going to be an IT administrators nightmare.

Bozo :joker:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
RC1 was release a couple of hours ago. I hope it is better than the previous releases. If not, think ME.

Bozo :joker:

Mercutio

TinyXP FTW. I put it on two ~300MHz Celerons with 64 and 96MB RAM respectively, machines that I would not want to see running Windows 2000, let alone full-blown XP, so that some nice people could actually use the USB printers they bought. It runs better than Win98 on that hardware.

What this tells me is that Microsoft is fucking INSANE. Whatever their future strategy is, it's far away from what TinyXP accomplishes, and that is sad. There are massive hordes of people out there who want their existing computer to run faster through the promise of a software upgrade. TinyXP is *not* less capable than Windows 98. It supports modern hardware, has modest memory requirements and full support for current apps.

Microsoft could release TinyXP as a full-blown OS and promote it as the upgrade Vista is supposed to be. They'd make billions; it'd be the first time most people would ever see their computer get faster from an OS upgrade.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Which version of TinyXP do you recommend, Merc? A search throws up a lot of stuff and many dead links.

Mercutio

The version I have came from a torrent site. It's one of the more stripped down releases. It's slightly annoying for defaulting to the UK keyboard layout and language setting, but that's easy enough to fix.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
UK English should be the default ;), but the keyboard layout can get annoying...

:)

Stereodude

Not really a
If you say so...

UK English should be the default ;), but the keyboard layout can get annoying...

:)
Hold on while I take the lift down to the ground level and go get some petrol for my auto. When I get back I'll watch the tele.

paugie

Storage is cool
Hold on while I take the lift down to the ground level and go get some petrol for my auto. When I get back I'll watch the tele.

sorry, slow on the uptake. the man was using British terminology. Haah!
it's all because we were an American Colony, not English.

Good joke. clean and nice. recommended.

now about the "auto" thing unless somebody explains, it will forever be beyond me.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Paugie, "auto" is American for "motor vehicle".

An Englishman, or anyone else who speaks English, would never say "auto", always "car".

Stereodude forgot to translate that one. Other than that, a good effort.

ddrueding

Fixture
I like the TinyXP releases, I have the "Beast" edition around here somewhere. But they stripped a few things I like (US Keyboard, default theme) and added some crap I don't (MSN Messanger). They say you can use that program....what's the name of it...to make your own slimmed-down version, but I don't know if you can get this small....