Mini Review - Epson R800 photo inkjet

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Well I thought I would put a few words together about my latest toy. It's the latest photo inkjet from Epson, uses 1.5pl droplets, and instead of the standard 6 carts, it uses 8. It's got Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow. In addition it has the new blue, red, matte black and gloss optimizer. The gloss optimiezer coats the print, to give it a full gloss coverage. Without it there is a variation in gloss between printed and non-printed parts of the paper. It uses UltraChrome pigment inks, so print life should be very good.

I was wary of buying another Epson after the hassles I had with my c80. But dpreview forums mentioned that this was the best printer to get, at least in the letter size class. And they were right. Borderless 4*6 and 5*7s come out just as good as a photo-lab, if not better. You can't see any dots. And much improved speeds over the slothy c80. I haven't got any borderless 8*10 paaper, but on letter size the results are also very good, keeping in mind my source is a Nikon 995 with 3.3MP. Colours are extremely vivid, without turning into oversaturated Sony reds and greens ;)

It can also print on printable CDs and DVDs, haven't tried that yet. Also has a roll feeder but no integrated cutter so I prob won't be using that.

FW and USB2 ports, I'm using the FW.

A thumbs up from me, if you can afford the cost ($399 RRP).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My training company just bought a Kodak 8500 dye-sub printer.

It makes photos.

The Ektotherm paper that you *have* to use with it looks and feels exactly like Kodak processed-photo stock, and it says Kodak on the back. And the things that come out of it, after the ~1 minute it takes to print a page, are photographs. As in "visually identical to processed film". It's a $1,000 printer. The paper is $.75 a sheet. I don't know what the ink costs. It's not a cheap solution to anyone's problem.

I printed out a couple of 5MP images from my Canon G5, and they were absolutely spectacular. It'd be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison of output between the Kodak and Pradeep's Canon.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
The dye-subs are nice, problem is that you pay a fixed cost for ink (ribbon) per page, no matter how much coverage you have. So if you want to print anything small than 8*10, you still pay the same cost. Still, if you need a lot of photos printed in a hurrry it can't be beaten for speed.

Let me know if you want to email me a pic, I can print it and mail it back to you.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Seems to me that someone made a mini dye-sub printer for about $300. Of course, paper costs are much higher than for an inkjet -- but they're pretty much photo prints.