Microtel SYSMAR710

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
No modem though, and the VIA C3 doesnt excite me (though it will be suffucient for internet use, but then why no modem)

VIA C3 800 MHz processor offers comparable performance to the 800 MHz Celeron processor

What a joke! I thought performance was at P2-300 levels?

Ah I know why they dont provide modems... the only cheap modems available are Winmodems that won't work on Lindows :wink:

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
OK, Will, you can always add a darn cheapo USB/PCI modem, can't you?
Almost all Office programs could also run smoothly on a machine like this...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Note that it comes with Lindows (linux) - a modem that would work reasonably well with that machine would cost probably 25% as much as the machine is worth.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
and yes, as far as the FPU is concerned, the processor is on pentiumII levels. But the ALU is probably closer to PIII levels. The C3 obviously doesn't sell on performance. It sells because it is cheap and it runs extremely cool.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
OK, Will, you can always add a darn cheapo USB/PCI modem, can't you?

Note that it comes with Lindows (linux) - a modem that would work reasonably well with that machine would cost probably 25% as much as the machine is worth

Which is why I said:

Ah I know why they dont provide modems... the only cheap modems available are Winmodems that won't work on Lindows

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I've been offered the motherboards at a pretty reasonable price. I thought about them at first, but they don't include a floppy controller, which I consider an unacceptable design compromise. One day, yeah, but not this year.